Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
LMAO yeah too bad she knows "I" wouldnt hold out. I always seem to get my way but I try to not go too crazy. This guy sure aint rich so I gotta live within my means.

07-21-2009, 05:54 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
If she gives you too hard of a time, turn the tables on her & make her beg for sex.
Works every time...
07-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is a thread somewhere on this site on evaluating a "pawn shop lens" that covers all the bases. Here is the link:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html
The executive summary goes something like this:
  • Focus smooth lock-to-lock
  • Aperture ring smooth lock-to-lock
  • Filter ring without damage
  • Mount without damage
  • Aperture lever opens and closes the iris at all stops
  • Aperture actuation snappy
  • Oil on aperture blades
  • Scratches on front or rear elements
  • Fungus, water spots, or excessive dirt inside lens
  • Evidence of separated internal elements
  • Evidence of physical damage by dropping (bent/dented parts, excessive play in barrel, etc.)
  • Zoom action (for zoom lenses) smooth through entire range

As for subjects:
  • Flowers
  • Children
  • Pets
  • Any combination of the above

Steve

(The subject list is an inside joke on this forum...)
I would like to second the second half of the above post for MoparFreak69: it is absolute heresy if you attempt to shoot subjects that are not flowers, children, pets, or a combination thereof with this lens. In fact, this lens will not function for other purposes. It may explode. Landscapes you ask? Don't bother, the lens won't focus to infinity; it only focuses out to the maximum distance flowers, children, or pets are likely to be at in case you were to take their photo.

I'm just telling you how it is man.
07-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I received my M 1.7 today.I gave it the shake test, and mine has a rattle aswell.As long as the thing works and does the job,it shouldn't matter.

07-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I wonder what those rattles are?
I think I should also test that on my M50mm 2.0 to see if it does the same thing 'coz I haven't actually noticed.
07-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #21

Original Poster
AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH. The guy didnt ship it out until TODAY, THURSDAY. I ordered it and paid for it sunday. Good old EBAY hard at work again huh.
07-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
I would like to second the second half of the above post for MoparFreak69: it is absolute heresy if you attempt to shoot subjects that are not flowers, children, pets, or a combination thereof with this lens. In fact, this lens will not function for other purposes. It may explode. Landscapes you ask? Don't bother, the lens won't focus to infinity; it only focuses out to the maximum distance flowers, children, or pets are likely to be at in case you were to take their photo.

I'm just telling you how it is man.
There is a simple work-around for this problem, just place a flower, child or pet in your landscape at infinity
07-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I wonder what those rattles are?
I think I should also test that on my M50mm 2.0 to see if it does the same thing 'coz I haven't actually noticed.
The lever will often rattle anyway. Hold the lever with a finger and the rattle is reduced or eliminated. The aperture mechanism should have really low friction so it can move quickly, so its parts are not intended to be bolted down tightly. The glass itself shouldn't be loose, and the focus mechanism should be tight on a manual focus lens. Sometimes a screw will get loose, but that really sounds like a loose screw.

07-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
So I got a wild hair up my butt and cruised over to the local evilbay auctions and won myself a nice condition Pentax M 50mm 1.7 lens. It should be here in a couple days. This is my second lens purchase and my first used lens so can anyone give me some pointers on what to check out when I first open the packaging so I can make sure I wasnt duped.
What are some recommendations for shooting subjects to get used to the new lens (ie: gravel, dog p**p, etc)? I am looking forward to exploring going TOTALLY manual with nothing taken care of me which is completely opposite from how I was a month ago with my poor excuse for a p&s camera.
Do you mind if I ask how much you paid? And, is it auto-focus?
07-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote

its not AF. its a fully manual lens from the late 70's. average price is 50-60 USD.
07-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
its not AF. its a fully manual lens from the late 70's. average price is 50-60 USD.

Ahh, ok - I have the same one then LOVE IT! It was my father-in-law's. I was hoping for an AF one, just cause I'm lazy!
07-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #27
Banned

Ahh, ok - I have the same one then LOVE IT! It was my father-in-law's. I was hoping for an AF one, just cause I'm lazy!
you can get the FA 50mm 1.7 or 1.4 but you wont get it for 50-60 USD that's for sure. but it will give you just as good or better results as well as AF and full use of the cameras auto functions because of the 'A' setting on the aperture ring. the FA is probably the favourite 50mm lens among most of the people here. you can still get the 1.4 from the Pentax USA webstore for 370 USD.

Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm F1.4

Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm F1.7
07-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #28

Original Poster
No its completely manual and I think I am in love with this lens! I paid a whopping $31 shipped off ebay!! Just got it today and MAN this thing is SWEEEEET!! It does have a little rattle like others experience but everything moves nice and smooth, like a swiss watch, just perfect action. After only about 3 or 4 test shots in a DARK hallway I got this really nice shot of my mutt which happens to have a very appealing (to me anyway) shallow DOF which incorporates just around her eyes. I took this at f1.7 and with very little light produced a nice hand held shot!
Attached Images

08-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
No its completely manual and I think I am in love with this lens! I paid a whopping $31 shipped off ebay!! Just got it today and MAN this thing is SWEEEEET!! It does have a little rattle like others experience but everything moves nice and smooth, like a swiss watch, just perfect action. After only about 3 or 4 test shots in a DARK hallway I got this really nice shot of my mutt which happens to have a very appealing (to me anyway) shallow DOF which incorporates just around her eyes. I took this at f1.7 and with very little light produced a nice hand held shot!
M 1.7 is great indoors.If you haven't tried it outdoors,go and try it out.It is just a brilliant little gem of a lens.Post some pics of your outdoor shots when you got the opportunity.
08-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #30

Original Poster
I have been trying to use this lens for everything I shoot to see if it fits my developing style. I still cannot get over the great IQ this lens can produce. I find that I can use it for a good majority of the shooting I have been doing but I will get some real practice starting next week during my 3 week trip to Germany/Switzerland. Here is a thread I posted with some shots from this lens: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/695...efer-50mm.html

I also am attaching a few landscape style shots used with this lens on a recent camping trip. It was just a bunch of trials but I think these turned out pretty well.
Attached Images