Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Connecting multiple flashes with P-TTL cord

I hope this is the right section to post in for my question..

I'm going to buy some flashes because I want to shoot some studio and macro photos.

I'm pretty shure the first unti I'm going to get is the 540FGZ.

Since my K100D doesn't work with wireless flashes, I considered buying a P-TTL cord, such as this one .

Now the problem is about connecting another flash unti, better if using P-TTL. Is there any possible solution to the problem?

Thank you so much!

Dario

P.S. does the 540FGZ have a PC-Sync connector?

07-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you had a couple of P-TTL flashes, one could be a wireless controller for the second. The cable you mentioned could allow the controller to be mounted off-camera. The flashes would have to be compatible.

The AF540FGZ has a socket for a 5P cable:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/cords/sync_F5P.jpg

which could also be used to connect a second flash. The second flash needs to be able to work with the AF540FGZ. I have used two flashes wired like this on my camera. It works but wireless would be more flexible.
07-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
If you had a couple of P-TTL flashes, one could be a wireless controller for the second. The cable you mentioned could allow the controller to be mounted off-camera. The flashes would have to be compatible.

The AF540FGZ has a socket for a 5P cable:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/flashes/cords/sync_F5P.jpg

which could also be used to connect a second flash. The second flash needs to be able to work with the AF540FGZ. I have used two flashes wired like this on my camera. It works but wireless would be more flexible.

Thank you! But will the 540FGZ work in wireless mode with my K100D?

I looked at the F5P cable, but it's a little too expensive for me, since I also need to buy a "F" socket adapter... over 100$ if I buy in the US.. I don't even want to know how much will it cost here in Europe..
07-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K100D popup flash won't work as a wireless controller for an off-camera flash. But if you have one AF540FGZ or AF360FGZ on the camera, that flash can control a second flash. You could use the cable you suggested to get the first flash off the camera.

Sorry, I forgot about the F adapter. I was able to find one in the B&H used department for $15.

There is more information in this forum, I just fool around with them.
Camera and Studio Accessories - PentaxForums.com

07-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The K100D popup flash won't work as a wireless controller for an off-camera flash. But if you have one AF540FGZ or AF360FGZ on the camera, that flash can control a second flash. You could use the cable you suggested to get the first flash off the camera.

Sorry, I forgot about the F adapter. I was able to find one in the B&H used department for $15.

There is more information in this forum, I just fool around with them.
Camera and Studio Accessories - PentaxForums.com

That's what I wanted to read!! This is a great news for me!! Thanks a lot!!

I'm going to look to the link you posted thanks again!
07-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry, I can't find out this information: if a 360FGZ or 540FGZ can control another wireless flash unit, can a Metz 48 do so? I'd like to have two Metz if possible, and one should work in wireless mode..
07-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

All of those have that ability. I myself am using a K10D and have an AF360 and plan on buying a Metz 48, so I can have two wireless (optical) slaves. A cheap and perhaps better solution would be to buy radio triggers for cheaper non-TTL flashes. I made the mistake in buying the 360 when I should have gone for the Metz 48 that has swivel and then buy cheap flashes with radio triggers. At least I can warn others

07-28-2009, 04:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, basically you set the flash connected to the camera to be the Master and all other flashes you have set up to be Slaves (making certain they are all on the same channel). When you trigger the Master flash, it will set off the remaining flashes. The current Metz flashes (48, 58, etc) all should function fine as either the Master or slave flash. I have the 58 and it works great.
07-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
All of those have that ability. I myself am using a K10D and have an AF360 and plan on buying a Metz 48, so I can have two wireless (optical) slaves. A cheap and perhaps better solution would be to buy radio triggers for cheaper non-TTL flashes. I made the mistake in buying the 360 when I should have gone for the Metz 48 that has swivel and then buy cheap flashes with radio triggers. At least I can warn others
Yes, that's why I'm not going to buy two 360, because of the swivel. And for the price, of course!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Yes, basically you set the flash connected to the camera to be the Master and all other flashes you have set up to be Slaves (making certain they are all on the same channel). When you trigger the Master flash, it will set off the remaining flashes. The current Metz flashes (48, 58, etc) all should function fine as either the Master or slave flash. I have the 58 and it works great.
Thank you so much!
07-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
According to Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 Digital, the 48 '...Can't work as an on-camera wireless master or controller.'
07-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hmm, Ok. Good to know. Doesn't change my prospects but perhaps it does for noospy
07-31-2009, 05:32 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
I hope I don't complicate matters for you but you should be aware that the K100D pop-up flash does indeed trigger an off-camera flash. Since I have only one, the AF360, it's the only flash I can attest will fire as a slave from the pop up.

Believe me, I was as surprised as the next person because everything I read said the K100D will not work wirelessly...but it did and it does.

Here's a link to a brief forum discussion that includes the settings I use:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/65947-transmitt...riggering.html
07-31-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes the 360 can be used by any camera with a flash since it can be set to be triggered by bright flashing lights. There are some cons to it though.
You will always have head-on flash from the built in flash. The flash could be fooled to fire too early during the TTL check that the built-in flash does. I've had studio lights that were light triggered do that when I was going to shoot with my camera with the 360 on. What happened was that during the TTL operation the studio flashes fired so my flash completely misunderstood that lighting and under-exposed. That scared the hell out of me until I figured out what was happening.
Thirdly, it can accidently be fired by other cameras or strobes (in a club for instance) when bright or flickering lights are present.

A tip to avoid the built in flash to light up the scene might be to cover it up just enough for the other flash to trigger. It solves at least one of these problems.
07-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
I actually think two Metz 48 AF-1 flashes and one Pentax 360 FGZ is the best bang for the buck. The Metz 48 AF-1 can't be a wireless master or controller, the 360FGZ can. This allows you to have more range for wireless than the on board flash can deliver when needed. The 360FGZ will also allow you to do wireless HSS. The Metz 48 AF-1 features the ability to turn off the auto off power feature, where the 360 can't. This is really important if you want to use the flashes with radio triggers.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-31-2009 at 07:12 PM.
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ok, the 48 can't be a master controller but I've considered the economy here. If you buy cheap flashes. Sunpaks or something, you can attach cheap triggers and get much better results since you can hide the flashes behind stuff. This is probably mostly necessary outdoors since indoors the controller flash would bounce to the slave enough for it to be triggered.
The auto off function I guess, is something you forfeit when going cheap.

To be more specific, I want the 48 for it's swivel and TTL feature. If there's something better with about that strength and cheaper, feel free to tell me!