Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Which processing software to use?

Should I start getting familiar with the software that came with my K100D, or is there something else I should look into?

Shot a few pics over the weekend using RAW, and played around with it a little, but just wanted to get going down the right path.

And after posting a snowmobile pic of my nephew a couple weeks ago, and had a member "tweek" it for me, got me interested in modifying a few of my shots, especially the winter shots where many of them are a little dark.

Thanks a lot.

vmax84

07-21-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should add, I have used Irfanview (think that's how you spell it) a little, but mainly for cropping.

vmax84
07-21-2009, 04:38 AM   #3

The Pentax software is very adequate and can do almost anything you need to do. If you are more ambitious, prepared to spend from 2 to 4 hundred dollars US the adobe software is very powerful, although the learning curve can be steep. Exp if you have no image editing experience.
If you familiarize yourself with the Pentax editor you will at least Know what you want when you are ready to buy.
07-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its not quite that expensive at the moment. Photoshop Elements 7 is currently $76 delivered from Newegg and will enable you to do all the tweaking you can imagine for quite a while.

Newegg.com - Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 - Mini Box - Digital Media Editing

07-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For now, I"m just looking for an easy to use software package, and was looking for input on where to start. I need to play around more with the Pentax stuff. Really got my interest peeked, like I said earlier, when I posted an action shot of one of my nephews on his snowmobile, and somebody lightened up the pic for me, which really improved the shot. I've got quite a few pics of the kids snowmobiling and skiing that could use a little tweak.

And second question..........what good is Irfanview good for? Does anybody use it for anything, or is it where us clueless people hang out?

Thanks a lot.

vmax84

Oh, also heard of a software package called picasa........input? Thanks.
07-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax software works fine for RAW, although is quite a bit more cumbersome to use than more modern software. For JPEG, I don't know that the Pentax software offers anything at all? Photoshop Elements is the standard low-cost choice for msot people. Google Picasa, a free package, is also useful and popular. I use ACDSee Pro, which is sort of a step between Elements and Lightroom, another popular but more expensive (unless you qualitfy for the educational discount) option.
07-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Here are some free programs you might want to look over.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

07-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #8

I am new to this also however I have been using Picasa 3 for quite some time and like using it. It seems easy to use and produces decent results. Maybe in time as I become more familiar with my camera and photo editing software I will start using Photoshop. FWIW Picasa seems to be a decent program.

Derek
07-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #9

My vote is for Photoshop Elements. There are several reasons: 97.6% (OK...I admit...that is a made up statistic!! but 94.7% of all statistics I use are made up!!) of everything I want to do, I can do in Elements. The command set is the same as it's bigger brother Photoshop CS3/4/??? There are always tons of folks that can answer any questions you might have. (The lesser known editing software you often have to wait for an answer a lot longer than you want.) You start off with a recognized product and you don't have to relearn it all a different way later when you get more experienced and want to do more than the freebies allow. It is less than $80 and many of the PS-CS plugins will work just fine with Elements. There are some very well written books that explain everything for Elements (Kelby, Brundage, etc) Take it from someone who has been there already. I started with the freebies--gave most of them a shot; then I moved to PaintShop Pro; and finally moved to Elements several years ago and I cannot think of any reason I would need to move again.
07-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a fairly comprehensive list here: ETL

A personal favourite is Paint.net. Similar to Gimp but easier to understand. Plus it works and looks like Photoshop so the transition (when that time comes) is much easier. Even with PS and lightroom now, I still use Paint.net for certain applicatiosns.
07-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I would start with fooling around with the Pentax software (a version of Silky Pix), but I would look into Photoshop Elements 7. I would recommend Scott Kelby's book to go with it -- definitely helps figure out the basics and more.
07-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

For both JPEG and RAW I use Lightzone:

LightZone lightcrafts

pretty simple to use and they offer a free trial for you to check out the software as well.
07-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I have a fairly comprehensive list here: ETL

A personal favourite is Paint.net. Similar to Gimp but easier to understand. Plus it works and looks like Photoshop so the transition (when that time comes) is much easier. Even with PS and lightroom now, I still use Paint.net for certain applicatiosns.
A couple more, not on your list.
Gimphoto might be the more interesting option for photography than Gimp. Photoscape is another free editor.

Thank you
Russell
07-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the good info and help.

vmax84
07-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
And second question..........what good is Irfanview good for? Does anybody use it for anything, or is it where us clueless people hang out?

Oh, also heard of a software package called picasa........input? Thanks.
Irfanview is an image viewer and a very good one at that. It does have very limited editing capabilities.
Picasa is a photo manager/album and viewer. It also offers limited editing capabilities and good web integration.

For editing you will find Adobe Elements quite user friendly.