Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #16

imtheguy: Yes Elements is very inexpensive, but for a hubdred or 2 more you have Lightroom 2 (.4). This package does almost everything you can want to do and in maqny cases better that the full Photoshop CS$ package.
Ron McDermott

08-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #17

I used to use Photoshop Elements for editing, but since I got my Pentax K100D and started shooting raw, I turned to Bibble which has some very nice RAW processing capabilities for a relatively low price.
09-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #18

I prefer to use Lightroom. I used to do everything in Photoshop, but now I do everything in Lightroom. It takes some time getting used to it, but once you get the hang of it, it's just moving sliders. Plus there are free presets(actions) you can download off the net too.
09-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #19
Forum Member

If you only want to do basic tweaking, e.g. sharpening, brightness/contrast, rotating, cropping, etc., in my view there is nothing to beat Faststone Image Viewer 3.9, especially so for a beginner. And what's more it is free for personal use from FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer .... It will handle Pentax RAW files as well as JPEGs and TIFFs and will do an awful lot more. Why not give it a try.

John

09-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amazon Gold Box has Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 for $25.

Is this a good program for a beginner?
09-01-2009, 08:37 AM   #21

DennisH
Yes. It is a very good program. And for that price you cannot go wrong. I prefer Photoshop Elements, but like I said, at that price...
09-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use IrfanView for quick viewing of photos. You can download plugins to enable it the view raw images. If I'm going to be executing the same resize/rename command, I use IrfanView's batch processing. You can probably do this in other programs too, but IrfanView is simple and fast.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am an SLR and image editing n00b. IrfanView and GIMP + UFraw are the only programs I've used. I use GIMP because I can't justify spending more money on photographic equipment than I already have.

09-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
Should I start getting familiar with the software that came with my K100D, or is there something else I should look into?

Thanks a lot.

vmax84
Surprised that no one mentionned Silkypix yet. I've tried many graphic editing packages over the years and I keep coming back to Silkypix. The Adobe product are extremely powerful, and it comes with a high learning curve and it seems that no task is simple. Too many options IMO. My suggestion is that you download as many free trials as you need to in order to give a good run at some of the products out there. We're all different in our approach and each products are very different as well. You need to find the match that is right for you. For me, Silkypix is giving me a quick way and very effective way to process RAW images, others feel differently about it. So just download it and try it. You've got 30 days free trial available (Go for the Pro version if you do).

Roger
09-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm currently using the version 3 beta of ACDSee (free until 22 October). It seems to have two main things going for it: first, it is a good database come cataloguer for your image collection; and second, it is reasonably easy to obtain nice, high-quality jpegs from raw files with lighting adjusted and sharpening applied, etc (plus there's an uploader to Flickr embedded in the software). I can get the same results or better from Photoshop but it is more fiddly and takes a lot longer. However, ACDSee is for fairly straightforwards stuff only. If you want the full monty with layers, special effects and all the rest, then a proggie like Photoshop is the one (I've never used Elements or Lightroom, though either is tempting). I'll probably stick with ACDSee though, and eventually pay for the full version. It is a pretty foolproof way of dealing with 90 per cent or more of my pics.

Photoshop has good sharpening tools, imho, and even better if you import some actions and/or use the high pass filter as a separate layer. The soft light layer effect can help to make a picture look richer and deeper, and the black-and-white converter is excellent, with several filters to choose from. For a picture that you really want to work on, something that uses layers is pretty important I'd guess.
09-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried the trial version of Photoshop CS4 and its very fast (but expensive). I will stick to GIMP and SilkyPix
09-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Processing Software

There are many choices out there, some free and some not. I've used several and can recommned the following:

Free:
Paint.Net - Very easy to use and very capable. (my favorite of the free ones)
Picasa 3 - Also easy to use but not quite as capable as Paint.Net, but close.
Gimp - Very powerful with a steeper learning curve than the above two

Nominal cost:
Photoshop Elements 7 - Very powerful and not to difficult to learn at least the basics. Great RAW support (PEF and DNG). (I currently use this one).
Photo Impact - Now owned by Corel I think. I used it until Version 11. Not too pricey and also cramed full of features but not very hard to learn.

High End High Cost:
Have never used any so no opinion.

Hope this helps.
09-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #27
Veteran Member

For Editing, Paint Shop Pro X2
For Raw, Raw Therapy.

The Pentax software is a bit odd, to Slikypix Software available separately.
I am still trying it out..but, I think it could done better. All those separate windows a pain on my Laptop 15.4 screen. I tried Acdsee Pro 3..I did like that program, but it was a resource hug on my laptop with large files over 12mp or so..So is PSP-X2 AFATG ! I use the 3* setting to free up memory during Post work. I do plan to upgrade from 2gig to 4gig of ram next month.
09-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #28
Forum Member

I'll throw another name into the arena. If you are a Mac user, i recommend Apple's own Aperture. I've use Photoshop for years and still use it quite a bit for certain things (I'm a graphic designer), but I love Aperture's database capabilities and its seamless workflow with RAW images.
09-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #29

Another vote for Raw Therapee, better imo than the Pentax one and still free!
09-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of good choices, tried several of them. I keep going back to Photo-shop elements for editing. Irfanview for batch processing. (does a better job in RAW to Jpeg than PS IMO). PhotoME for quick look-see of EXIF and after messing with Picasa it has become my choice for organizing.
I also think that PSP PhotoX2 is very nice, hardly ever use it because it is on my Vista laptop that is tied up by kids and the wife.

Cheers. Mike.