Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

K10D Wireless Flash help needed

I've had my K10 for over a year and have never actually tried to use the wireless mode for flash. I'm going to be doing some nightclub/bar/events/parties type photography and wanted to be able to use it so I could maybe hold out the flash to the side or down low or up high to create some interesting shots. My first job is this weekend.

Well, I tried to use it last night (with my sons teddy bear in dim lighting, Lol!). I have the AF540fgz Flash. I set the camera flash to "Control" in the Custom settings menu and to flash to "wireless". Then I set the 540 flash to P-TTL, digital, Auto zoom, Slave, S1. Using my built in flash as the control flash would not fire the 540fgz flash which I wanted to use as the master flash. I read through my manual for the camera and the flash and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

Did I have the settings wrong or can the K10D not fire an external flash wirelessy using the built in as the control??

Thanks!!

07-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Also, I changed the zoom to Manual 1/4 power to see if that changed anything and it didn't. I'm thinking, why would the manual tell me to set my 54fgz flash to Slave if I want to use it as the main flash. I'm just confused. Lol!
07-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Check your firmware level

What level is your firmware? The K10D, out of the box, will not support using the onboard flash to control an off-camera flash. You must be at least at level 1.10.

You can check you firmware level, by holding the Menu button down while turning the camera on. The level will display on the back LCD for a few seconds.

You can find all the firmware downloads here: Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Version 1.30 is the latest (and almost certainly the last for the K10D). The updates are cumulative. That is, you do not need to download each one. Just download 1.30 and install it.

Note that some users are reluctant to install 1.30, because it eliminates a debug mode that allowed users to enter AF corrections for back/front-focusing lenses. This mode was never intended for end-users, and Pentax eliminated it, or at least plugged the firmware hole that allowed relatively easy access to it.

OTOH, 1.30 added support for SDM lenses. These are the DA* lenses with the AF motor in the lens.

The installation instructions are on the link I included.
07-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have the latest firmware?

Also, did you go through the steps of linking the camera and flash channels?

07-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you both for your responses to my problem. I'm not sure I know what the firmware is. I will check out the link noblepa sent. Mattdm, I didn't know I had to have the channel on the flash and channel on camera matching. I didn't see anywhere in the camera settings where I could set the channel. I was reading the manual and it didn't say anything about that. Can you explain how I would do that?
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

open question...

if the v1.0 cant control a wireless flash, why would it give you the wireless flash option when in the flash menu?
07-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good question. Don't get it. Going to check out my firmware after work today and see what I can figure out. Maybe it's just on there for after you download the update. Like it's initially on, but isn't really activated??? Idk...
07-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sarahbell Quote
I didn't see anywhere in the camera settings where I could set the channel. I was reading the manual and it didn't say anything about that. Can you explain how I would do that?
There is no direct way to set channel on the body, but the body can read channel from the flash. Here is how to do it:

Mount flash on the body and switch camera to wireless flash. K10/20D would read channel from the flash and set correct value. Channel number will be displayed on the top LCD for a few seconds. Then you can remove your flash and use it remotely.

I would also recommend using M flash mode and X camera setting. Check my article about using remote flash at:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-articles/53726-k10d-k20d-wire...nual-mode.html

07-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
open question...

if the v1.0 cant control a wireless flash, why would it give you the wireless flash option when in the flash menu?
From the manual, it seems that it was only the pop-up that couldn't be the master.

Even v1.0 was supposed to let you use wireless using a 360 or a 540 in the hot shoe as master.

I never used it though - I was at 1.3 before I got a 540, so I can't verify this from personal experience. Works well with the pop-up (as master or controller) now, though.
07-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good question. Don't get it. Going to check out my firmware after work today and see what I can figure out. Maybe it's just on there for after you download the update. Like it's initially on, but isn't really activated??? Idk...
Do you know how to check the firmware?
07-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much Ivan! I'm trying it right as we speak. I did not realize I had to actually put on the external flashe when I set the camera flash mode to wireless. I did not do that before. I did see where the channel popped up on the LCd for a few seconds. Just as you said. I checked my firmware and I do have 1.30 so hopefully now I can get it to work. Thanks to ChrisA and res3567 also for replying to my post.

Ivan, can I just ask why the x setting is best to use? Is there a distinct advantage of it compared to using the manual setting? I, honestly, never even noticed that x on the dial before!
07-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, no luck. I don't understand. I put the 540 on the camera, set it to wireless mode. Put it on channel 4 and saw the ch 4 on the top lcd of the camera. Took it off. Set the built in flash to comtroller in custom menu settings. Set the camera to x and flash to manual mode. Nothing... I feel retarded. Like I'm missing something very obvious or something!!! Lol!
07-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Going to read the article now...
07-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got it to work! Yay! Thanks everyone!! I was so excited!
07-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Got it to work! Yay! Thanks everyone!! I was so excited!
Great! What was the problem?