Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
Forum Member

Filter or not?

Do i really need Uv filter? If yes than what does it provide more the clarity to the image or protection to the lense?

07-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

its degrades your image and offers no real protection

it does make your wallet lighter.
07-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
hmm interesting !!!! Do you know any literature? articles which proves that?
i have read lots of reviews and everybody seems to be pretty sure that it has nothing to do with lens protection ...just curious
07-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have one for my kit lens but only put it on when we visit the beach or some other windy/dusty location. I've had my lens since July of 2005 and have not used a filter for 99% of the time. So far no issues to report.

Tim

07-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by acarpov Quote
Do i really need Uv filter? If yes than what does it provide more the clarity to the image or protection to the lense?
The answer is a categorical no.
07-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

hmm interesting !!!! Do you know any literature? articles which proves that?
i have read lots of reviews and everybody seems to be pretty sure that it has nothing to do with lens protection ...just curious
prove what, that an extra layer of glass degreades light transmission?

or that a layer of glass will not save your lens if it falls off a balcony or takes a swim in the lake

and that every day dirt and grime that could come into contact with your lens is easily removed without damage to the lens surface if special care is given?
07-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I have one but only put it on when we visit the beach or some other windy/dusty location. .

Tim
Same here..... or on the rare occurrence that I lend out a lens.

07-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A lens hood is probably better protection.
07-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
before everybody will start making funny comments !

My question was about protection of the lense ! and not obvious protection like dropping dslr and it can prevent it from breaking, or dirt or grime !!!!

i was refering to protection of coating of the lense from uv damage ?
07-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

right.....

uv damage....

there is no uv "damage"

the rationanel behind uv filters is that they block UV rays and haze thereby "improving" the image quality

except that every lens worth mentioning has such quality coatings on them that having a uv canceling filter is pointless.

so all thats left is a piece of lass that interferes with light in one way or another, meaning, there is no improvment, and the only thing left is to argue whether it will actualy protect your lens from physical harm.

Last edited by Gooshin; 07-22-2009 at 10:40 AM.
07-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #11
Damn Brit

before everybody will start making funny comments !
That is probably the worst thing you can say on this forum, think about bulls and the colour red.

QuoteQuote:
My question was about protection of the lense ! and not obvious protection like dropping dslr and it can prevent it from breaking, or dirt or grime !!!!

A filter will offer a certain amount of protection in certain conditions, dusty and wet but that is only to the front element, if you are in those conditions, it's probably best not to have your camera out.
If you're that worried about UV, only shoot at night.
Of course if you ever get fungus in a lens, the first thing you need to do is put it in the sun for the UV to kill the fungus. Note I said "kill the fungus" not "kill the coating".
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really interesting comments about the value or lack of value of a UV filter. I've always used one even back in the dark ages (film). I can't confirm that a UV or Skylight filter detracts from or adds to the image quality, I can't tell. I don't think they hurt the image.

I do know that if you are walking about out in nature and accidentally brush through some thicket or something and a twig brushes your lens, with a UV filter covering your lens's front element you have saved the coating on your expensive lens. But that's your choice, I've executed mine by using a UV filter.

jimH
07-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
Really interesting comments about the value or lack of value of a UV filter. I've always used one even back in the dark ages (film). I can't confirm that a UV or Skylight filter detracts from or adds to the image quality, I can't tell. I don't think they hurt the image.

I do know that if you are walking about out in nature and accidentally brush through some thicket or something and a twig brushes your lens, with a UV filter covering your lens's front element you have saved the coating on your expensive lens. But that's your choice, I've executed mine by using a UV filter.

jimH
if a twig harms your coating, you have a pretty shitty lens right there.
07-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
Banned

there is no evidence that I am aware of that even suggests that a modern multi-coated filter will 'degrade' image quality. we are talking about top grade optical glass (the same type, even made by the same manufacturers as lens glass elements) with multi-coatings just as good as the lens'. could it cause light loss? yes, presumably some, but in the case of a UV, a multi coated UV at that, it will be virtually zero. for protection in dusty or otherwise harsh environments (a beach would come to mind) it would be a wise investment. but the coatings on modern lenses are tough. seriously tough. particularly the current Pentax SMC with SP (super-protect) coating. purchasing a multi-coated UV (such as a Hoya HMC, B+W or Tiffen) would be a good thing to have, but its in no way necessary. of course if you never want to have to clean your front lens element, or have a thing about keeping your equipment in as close to mint condition as possible, then I would suggest a filter, yes. otherwise, no. there is no real need.
07-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
there is no evidence that I am aware of that even suggests that a modern multi-coated filter will 'degrade' image quality. we are talking about top grade optical glass (the same type, even made by the same manufacturers as lens glass elements) with multi-coatings just as good as the lens'. could it cause light loss? yes, presumably some, but in the case of a UV, a multi coated UV at that, it will be virtually zero. for protection in dusty or otherwise harsh environments (a beach would come to mind) it would be a wise investment. but the coatings on modern lenses are tough. seriously tough. particularly the current Pentax SMC with SP (super-protect) coating. purchasing a multi-coated UV (such as a Hoya HMC, B+W or Tiffen) would be a good thing to have, but its in no way necessary. of course if you never want to have to clean your front lens element, or have a thing about keeping your equipment in as close to mint condition as possible, then I would suggest a filter, yes. otherwise, no. there is no real need.
t stops

10char