Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

My k1000

Hi all! Just signed up. I own a k1000 and I love it. I would like to branch out with my camera. I recently bought a flash and I am not sure how to take pictures with it, without messing up. (i have done my shooting only in the natual light). I also am interested in buying a longer zoom lense (200mm ect) However I am not sure which lenses would be compatible. Any help?

07-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

K1000

Welcome. The K1000 is a great camera.

As for lens compatibility, any k-mount lens will work. This includes the original k-mount lenses with no automation other than automatically stopping down the aperture, the next-generation M-series lenses, the A-series lenses, which brought the first electrical lens/camera communication and the latest autofocus lenses. The current digital DA lenses will mount on your camera, but, since they are designed for the smaller sensor of the digital cameras, they may not entirely cover the film image area. This is especially true of the wide angle lenses.

The only Pentax lenses to avoid are the FA-J and the DA, since they have no aperture rings.

You can even use the older Super-Takumar and SMC Takumar screwmount lenses, from the Spotmatic era, with an adapter. You would have to use stop-down metering though.

As for flash, it might help to know what brand and model you have. The K1000 does not support any flash dedication, so the flashes you want are the non-dedicated ones. Flash units with a built-in "thyristor", or light-sensor are great. With these flashes, you set the aperture based on the film speed being used. The flash instructions will tell you what that aperture is. Many flashes have a little calculator or sliderule on them that will also give you this information. Once the aperture is set, you just fire away and the light-sensor on the flash determines when enough light has reflected off the subject and shuts itself off, all in a small fraction of a second.

I believe that the maximum flash synchronization speed of the K1000 is 1/60 second, just like my Spotmatic. This is the fastest shutter speed at which the entire shutter is open. At higher speeds, the trailing shutter curtain begins closing before the leading curtain is fully open, resulting in a slit moving across the film plane. Since electronic flash duration is almost always less (sometimes much less) than 1/1000 second, using flash at a higher shutter speed will cause part of the image to be unexposed. The max synch speed is marked by a red X on the shutter speed dial.

On-camera flash can be very harsh. For this reason, many photographers use flashes that can swivel and tilt to bounce the light off of walls or ceilings, to soften the light a bit. There are milky plastic diffusers that can be put over the flash head, to also soften things up.

If your flash is a purely manual type, with no light sensor, then you must do a little arithmetic for each shot. All flash units have what is called a guide number associated with them. A typical on-camera unit might have a GN of 100 feet (30 meters) for ISO/ASA 100 film. The way this is used is this: focus on your subject and read the distance off of the focus scale on the lens. Divide the GN by this distance to get the aperture to use. The flash may have a dial to help you figure this out.

BTW, if you don't have a manual for your K1000, you can download a copy free from the Pentax US website at PENTAX Digital Cameras and DSLRs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site. If your flash is a Pentax unit, manuals for those are also available there. The manuals for the older cameras and flashes are mediocre photocopies, turned into PDF files, but the information is all there.