Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #1

Recommended reading

I am new to this and have purchased a K10D. I am looking for some good recommended reading for my camera and a beginners book on dSLR photography.

Thanks in advance,

Derek

07-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Read this article:

Pop Photo - 26 Books Every Photographer Should Own

Personally, "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson was one of the best books I read, gave me a good grasp of the fundamentals.
07-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I wikipedia'd everything from ISO, aperture, shutter speed, segmenting, bracketing.... etc..

oh and asked a million q's on here!
07-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

ok i lied. it's clear with my # of posts that it was not a million

07-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #5

My K10 was my first DSLR (and only!) and I did not even know was ISO was when I started! Besides this forum, BetterPhoto.com was my #1 saving grace. (These forums were unspeakably terrific, too!)

Check out the BetterPhoto Bookstore: I reccommend their general book on Digital Photography. It's got assignments and is very user-friendly.

I swear I am not working for them, they literally changed my photographic life, so here is one more reccomendation: check out the BP courses. Their free/sample course alone helped me tremendously. It is not interactive/you dont get to upload assignments, but the lessons are invaluable and FREE.

Good luck on this exciting journey!
07-25-2009, 01:36 AM   #6

Learning the Craft...

The manual for your camera can be useful too .. There are a few e-books on Google.If I have any questions pop into my head Google also has a lot of answers..good luck.....wish I"d bought shares in Google 10 years ago....
07-25-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My first suggestion is to read the manual. You have a powerful and complicated camera, so knowing how it functions is of foremost importance. Then you should buy a book about photography, not specifically dSLR photography. I suggestion The Negative by Ansel Adams.
07-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Check out this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/39316-photographers-library.html

I had a look in the library the other day at recent digital photography manuals. They seemed to go on about digital effects and processing a lot, without discussing composition too much. Not much original stuff either.

I'd recommend any Andreas Feininger.

07-28-2009, 10:06 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by dsittler Quote
I am new to this and have purchased a K10D. I am looking for some good recommended reading for my camera and a beginners book on dSLR photography.

Thanks in advance,

Derek
I,m also new to digital photography and have been reseaching it for 8-10 months. Here's what I've found.
Chapters-Indigo will have these books:
Tom Ang Digital Photographer's Handbook
Tom Ang Fundamentals of Photography
Scoot Kelby The Digital Photography Book Vol.I & II
On the Web
Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School
Aperture & Shutter Speeds = Exposure - The Basic of Photography
Cambridge in Colour - Digital Photography Tutorials & Gallery
Try these sites out read the whole page
Rick
07-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
ok i lied. it's clear with my # of posts that it was not a million
I thought you'd asked several hundred questions in each post.
07-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by malkin Quote
I thought you'd asked several hundred questions in each post.
You learn quickly grasshopper. Just need to add emoticons

I would second the Kelby books. Both of them. But also his book on Photoshop for digital photographers.

I bought and read both of the Kelby books because I was looking for basics on how to teach a nephew new to digital. I like his style. Me, I get too wrapped up in the technical side of things and felt it would turn him off.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 07-29-2009 at 09:41 AM.
07-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drogheda99 Quote
I,m also new to digital photography and have been reseaching it for 8-10 months. Here's what I've found.
On the Web
Since I'm always looking for a good references to point people toward regarding the basics of exposure, I checked out these links. the Cambridge site I was somewhat familiar with, but not the others. These all seems like good references, although none really nail the goal (well, my goal, anyhow) of providing a simple no-nonsense but technically accurate and reasonably complete discussion of exposure that isn't buried amongst a ton of other stuff.

The second article listed above would actually be perfect were it written by a native English speaker, although I hate to have to criticize it on that count, because it's a heck of a lot better than I could do writing a photography tutorial language in any other language. As it is, if you can get past the understandable awkwardness in the use of the language, it looks to be an *extremely* well written series of articles covering exactly what I think every DSLR photographer should know.
07-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drogheda99 Quote
Chapters-Indigo will have these books:
Tom Ang Digital Photographer's Handbook
Tom Ang Fundamentals of Photography
Scoot Kelby The Digital Photography Book Vol.I & II
On the Web
Try these sites out read the whole page
Rick
Rick,
Thanks for posting these for me to read, I think this will help alot. I registered for a class locally and 3 days before the class they called and cancelled it. I also have ordered a book recommended from here and reading the manual supplied with the camera.

Derek
07-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #14

If you are still looking for ideas for books...

I recommend Understanding Exposure and Understanding Shutter Speed by Bryan Peterson. I have learned a great deal from these books.

Cheers.

Nick