Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lord I need help....

So I drove up to a nice vista yesterday and took out my tripod for some shots...

Man I suck...

Disregarding the obvious dirt on my lens or filter.... And the fact that without a UV filter I have terrible sun glare...

The photo's are blurry! I used aperture priority and set it fully closed. Autofocus... Lens is the standard 18-55 ALII

Here is a bracketed set up five as an example... My intention was to try some HDR action on them.

Please give me some advice...

07-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
Please give me some advice...
Pick a day without wind!

The dark ones are too dark to see anything, but you've got wonderfully blurred trees tossing in the wind - and a 1 second exposure during which you caught them. Also, if it were windy enough, and your tripod light enough, you may also have got camera movement on those long exposures.

Maybe I'm missing what you're seeing, but that's my diagnosis...

Julie
07-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hmmm, wind.... I didn't even think of that... I don't recall it being windy per se.. but I guess any wind with a 1 sec exposure is going to ruin the shots...

Blast it!
07-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Wind is a problem, sure - your subejcts are moving. Plus, stopping down a lens all the way kills sharpness - most lenses are sharpest around f/8 and then drop considerably due to diffraction beyond there. You say you used AF, but *what* did you focus on? And that cheap dirty filter is just *killing* you here. No way is it helping with flare, except to the extent that the edge of the filter is acting like a hood a little bit. Use a hood instead of the filter and IQ will go up big time. But shooting into the sun is tough for flare in any case.

07-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips... yeah, I need to be a lot more careful and thoughtful about my shots. But hell, I did actually break out the tripod for once.

From a sort of generic recipe standpoint, how does one shoot a sunset anyway???
07-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Depends on if you want the sky to look good or the landscape. You usually can't have both in the same exposure. To get the landscape to look good, I'd point at the ground *away* from the sun, set the exposure based on that using AE-L or M mode, then re-frame and shoot. Otherwise, to get the sky to look good, do the same but meter off the sky *near* the sun but without having the sun in the frame. For focus, I'd do it manually and pick a specific place in the landscape to focus on, or else focus on a cloud. Unless you've got a specific reason *not* to use f/8, that would normally be your default choice. In theory, you can focus somewhere in the middle distance and expect everything from that point to infinity to be more or less in focus - look up the term "hyperfocal distance" for more info on that idea.
07-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Get rid of the filer an duse f/8 not f/22

Problems solved.
07-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You might also want to shade your lens (more than a hood) and see if it helps with the flare.

07-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 2 cents: I think the dirt is on the sensor. Another reason to use f8, the dirt will look like fuzzy blobs instead. If you happen to have a Pentax prime lens, the fewer numbers of elements will give you less flare. The SMC coatings are great but I don't think anything would work perfectly with the sun in the frame like that. The right kind of cloud cover can act like a neutral density filter if it's right over the sun, but it's not something you can create. I've tried to create a sunset HDR from a single image and a RAW file, but never got it to look right. My PP skills aren't up to it.