Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax "A" setting

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Is Pentax the only camera manufacturer that has an "A" setting on the aperture ring?

I found a lens that the owner claims is a Minolta mount but it has an "A" setting. I haven't seen that actual mount yet so can't confirm or deny the claim.

Thanks

07-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All lenses with an aperture ring that support program or shutter-preferred automation have a special position on the aperture ring. Usually it is labeled "A", "AE", or "P" and is not specific to a particular mount. So, yes, a lens in Minolta mount may very well have an "A" setting, though that lens is not compatible with any Pentax camera.

Along the same vein. I would be negligent if I did not include the standard warning regarding the Ricoh program k-mount variant. These are k-mount lenses that support Ricoh program exposure cameras and feature a green "P" on the aperture ring. These lenses enjoyed a limited compatibility with Pentax bodies at the time they were made, but may cause problems if mounted on later auto-focus bodies. There is a small pin (the infamous "Ricoh Pin") on the mount of these lenses that may jam into the AF coupler on an AF body. The result is a lens that may be very difficult to remove.

If it has a "P"...Let it "be"...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-24-2009 at 01:36 PM.
07-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
All lenses with an aperture ring that support program or shutter-preferred automation have a special position on the aperture ring. Usually it is labeled "A", "AE", or "P" and is not specific to a particular mount. So, yes, a lens in Minolta mount may very well have an "A" setting, though that lens is not compatible with any Pentax camera.

Along the same vein. I would be negligent if I did not include the standard warning regarding the Ricoh program k-mount variant. These are k-mount lenses that support Ricoh program exposure cameras and feature a green "P" on the aperture ring. These lenses enjoyed a limited compatibility with Pentax bodies at the time they were made, but may cause problems if mounted on later auto-focus bodies. There is a small pin (the infamous "Ricoh Pin") on the mount of these lenses that may jam into the AF coupler on an AF body. The result is a lens that may be very difficult to remove.

If it has a "P"...Let it "be"...

Steve
Thanks, turns out it was a Pentax mount and the seller, who claims to have "only used the lens a handful of times" Has some magical minolta/K mount converter. Based on the images I asked them to upload of the mount it is clearly a K mount.

So if anyone has any spare cash lying around and is looking for a Vivatar 70-210mm 2.8-4 Version 3 and will accept an "as is purchase with no returns" you are braver than I.

Vivitar Series 1: 70-210mm f/2.8-4 Lens - eBay (item 270431016605 end time Aug-20-09 14:20:07 PDT)