Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #1

Got my new K20D! WOW!!

MAN THIS THING IS AWESOME!! This is my 1st ever slr or dslr camera so I was a little intimidated about these things, but after spending a couple of days with it I can't believe how nice this thing is and actually user friendly.

I was worried about some of the things that I read about the K20 not being that good for sports or wildlife. Man, they are crazy! This camera shoots that stuff amazingly well. I've already been able to freeze my kids and animals in some very cool action shots...and even without using the machine gun feature.

I'm burning up gigabytes faster then ever now so I just went and bought a 320gig external hard drive to help with storage. What do you guys do with all your pics? I didn't realize how large they are. I'm also trying to compress them for email but not having much luck yet.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

07-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your purchase and I'm glad it turned out well for you.
Every camera can actually do whatever you might intend it to do, there are just people who can't get satisfied with what they have and are always crying about how greener the pasture is on the other side of the fence.
You can resize the photos for email depending on your server as to how large is allowed.
I think for yahoo mail, it is 10mb..if it is anything bigger than that then it won't load.
Same as here in the forum, it all depends on your status as a member and how much (size) you are allowed to post.
Usually you have to resized the picture to be able to post it via the marketplace or the regular forums.
There are different softwares that can do the resizing.
As for storing the files, you can store them online by flicker or such other sites.
Aside from online, you can back it up on optical devices, such as CDs or DVDs..then of course you also have your additional external HD.
Whatever happens to any of the 3 devices, you will have a back up of your photos and all will not be lost.
07-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

if you are shooting in JPEG (the default setting, I believe) and you are on a Mac, you can use iPhoto (imports RAW as well) as a basic tool. It will resize, let you email, put on flickr and buy prints from Kodak and works just like it does with your Point and Shoot (assuming you had/have one). On the PC i think the equivalent would be Picassa
07-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the K20D!!! It, and the K10D, can both be used for sports and wildlife, a fact that is demonstated here on PF every day (Check out Marc Langille for sure). Too bad you were not around a month ago. We just had a gathering over in Cambridge at Blackwater NWR. You'd have enjoyed it I think. So anyway, welcome to PF and we'll look forward to some photos.

Mike

07-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Any concern you might have had about your gear shooting sports or high speed kids should be gone after you see what this guy (Mike Riley I think his name is) did with the VERY high speed subject of 2-wheeled motor sports recently.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/66453-motogp-racing-summ...july-09-a.html

I believe Mike is available for kids birthday parties when not shooting motorcross.
07-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
flickr is nice for uploading them but if you don't pay up, you can only upload a handful each month. I prefer Photobucket once your flickr is filled up. With Photobucket you can upload a ton without ever having to pay a penny. It will also compress it for you to whichever size you want it to be, just look at the bottom of the upload button and there should be a pull down tab where you can choose the resolution.
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote

I believe Mike is available for kids birthday parties when not shooting motorcross.
Even Ansel Adams did school photography and such on occasion...

Steve
07-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Any concern you might have had about your gear shooting sports or high speed kids should be gone after you see what this guy (Mike Riley I think his name is) did with the VERY high speed subject of 2-wheeled motor sports recently.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/66453-motogp-racing-summ...july-09-a.html

LOL. Thanks for the plug Lee.... Btw, just for the record... I am NOT available for kids parties!

Mike

07-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Hee, congrats, Eshore.

As you seem to be finding out on your own, don't be intimidated by all the controls: it's seen as an 'advanced' camera sort of thing these days, not to have it all hidden in menues, but having done some teaching, I think it's probably a lot easier for you to learn photography, this way: all the major functions are right there where you can look at and get to them. For a lot of purposes, it doesn't matter how fast the AF is if you have to take much more extra time just to tell the camera what to do.

Since the K20's aren't excessively-costly, I think they're great cameras to learn on. Less to unlearn or re-learn later.
07-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #10

Original Poster

I looked at Mike's pics from that link before I bought the camera and that was a big deal maker. I use to race bikes at summit so it was cool seeing those pics. They are excellent.

Mike, I'd love to see some of your motocross pics. I do a lot more moto x than road racing now a days...especially since we have 2 tracks at home so it's much cheaper. How worried should I be about all the dust effecting my new unit? I have the pentax da 18-250 lens. I love the lens so far but I know it's not the wr version and I really don't want to screw up my new baby.

Thanks
07-25-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

any comments on the size/weight? I am debating the k20d and k2000 and size/weight is a big thing for me(and low light AF), I want to be able to hold the body with one hand and adjust/hold the lens with the other easily.
07-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
LOL. Thanks for the plug Lee.... Btw, just for the record... I am NOT available for kids parties!

Mike
Awwww..I'm disheartened to hear that..specially after that great plug!
07-25-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
any comments on the size/weight? I am debating the k20d and k2000 and size/weight is a big thing for me(and low light AF), I want to be able to hold the body with one hand and adjust/hold the lens with the other easily.
Go to your store and have a feel of the models there.
There is a significant difference in both size and weight between the cameras.
I mentioned before my small hands have no problem with K20D+grip+16-50 lens+AF540FGZ flash fitted, and I don't think you would either (unless you have any form of arthritis in your hands, or conditions of the like).
07-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eshoremoto Quote
I looked at Mike's pics from that link before I bought the camera and that was a big deal maker. I use to race bikes at summit so it was cool seeing those pics. They are excellent.

Mike, I'd love to see some of your motocross pics. I do a lot more moto x than road racing now a days...especially since we have 2 tracks at home so it's much cheaper. How worried should I be about all the dust effecting my new unit? I have the pentax da 18-250 lens. I love the lens so far but I know it's not the wr version and I really don't want to screw up my new baby.

Thanks
Wow! maybe I should ask Pentax for a commission. LOL Seriously flattered that my race photos clinched the deal. Just an FYI... Those photos were done with the K10D. Can hardly wait to unleash MY new K20D on em.

I have a small MX gallery on my Photo.net site... MX at Budds Creek, MD.

I will be going back down there for the AMA Pro Nationals on August 22nd if you are interested in getting together to shoot it.

The camera is darn near bullet proof and the lens should be fine as long as you don't get covered in a rooster tail. LOL I havn't had any problems but I do keep a UV filter or polarizer on the lens just to keep the front element clean and protected against knobby propelled rocks (cheaper to replace a filter than a lens). I just blow it off every now and then if it gets dusty.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-25-2009 at 06:28 PM.
07-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #15

Original Poster
Nice MX pics! Are any of those with the BIGMA?

That would be great to hook up down there. I'm gonna try and make it. I'll touch base with you when it gets closer. I would love to get some shots down there.

Thanks