Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Blasted Dust! Where is it!!!

Ok, I thought it was on my filter... I cleaned it... Still there...

I was advised I may have a crappy filter.. I removed it... Still there...

I cleaned my lens... Still there!!!

I did the dust shake... still there!!

I did the sensor dust check... Nothing there!!

Where oh where could the dust particles be????

The following is a picture of a blank white piece of copy paper....

Any help would be much appreciated....

Thanks!

Ken

07-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This kind of dust is usually on the sensor. Probably the dust check just doesn't pick it up. Cheers
07-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
I feared as much.... I have a rocket blower, but I've never used it to clean the sensor. Is there youtube or some tutorial to check out. I'm really worried about getting anywhere near my sensor...

thanks,

Ken
07-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just have the camera mount facing down and blow the dust off will do. It won't kill your camera unless your blower is low grade and spill some sticky particles out. Personally I use Giottos now, but might try the Eyelead later.

Giottos Rocket Air Dust Blower Lens Cleaner | AA1900, AA1910, AA1901
Eyelead Air Dust Blower Lens Cleaner | Eyelead Wet and Dry Lens Cleaning Wipes Kit

07-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Just have the camera mount facing down and blow the dust off will do. It won't kill your camera unless your blower is low grade and spill some sticky particles out. Personally I use Giottos now, but might try the Eyelead later.

Giottos Rocket Air Dust Blower Lens Cleaner | AA1900, AA1910, AA1901
Eyelead Air Dust Blower Lens Cleaner | Eyelead Wet and Dry Lens Cleaning Wipes Kit

Make sure when you use the blower, do it with the mirror up.
07-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
Igilligan

That kind of dust at F32 could also be inside the lens, near or on the rear element.

Take the lens off, open it all the way up and shoot a flashlight thru it from the front and see if can see any internal dust near the rear. At f22+ I see some internal dust from lenses that shows up just like what I see in your pic.
07-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
I assume I would clean the lens the same way with the rocket blower?

Update: I cleaned the lens and sensor with the rocket blower. I would say 90% of the dust is gone, but there are some small and lighter spots remaining. They are visible when I shoot a blank piece of paper. I tried cleaning it twice. Should I worry abou these?

Here's a new shot...

Thanks again!

07-25-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I usually don't bother with those unless the way you shoot makes them visible in all photos. For my personal use they don't matter, and when it comes to something important I can clean them digitally.

07-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Make sure your image was taken at a very small stop, f22 or whatever. Dust won't show up much at wide openings.

I have one spot I can't get rid of, even after scrubbing the sensor fairly violently (not recommended, but not seemingly harmful either.) Luckily (what are the odds?) there is a corresponding spot in the viewfinder that matches up almost perfectly. So occasionally I can shift the image just a tiny bit to hide the spot when I take a picture; otherwise I just clean it up after the fact.

Paul
07-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Igilligan

Your work here is done...

At F27 that is ok... I bet you will not see these at F18 and below