Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 03:38 AM   #1

blurred scenes on autofocus

Hi,
I have a K10D and usually shoot in AV mode with AF. Recently I have noticed tha any wide angle shots seem blurred at the edges, even though I use auto 11 point focusing. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

07-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
Dom

Photos of the problem would make helping a lot easier.

But it sounds like the lens might be sort at the edges.
07-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also, you have to realize the depth of field (DOF) is not infinite - if something is in focus n the center 20 feet away, you cannot expect the sides to be in focus if they are 50 feet away (or 5 feet away). Shooting at a smaller aperture (higher f-stop) helps increase DOF, but you can never expect to have *everything* in focus. So even if your lens is super-sharp at the edges, you will generally have to choose whether you wish to focus on something at the edge, leaving the center out of focus, or vice versa.
07-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The following need to be considered:
1. Auto focus does not know what you want to focus onto. It's auto because it's stupid. You're smart. I suggest learning how to use the centre focus point, and reframing the shot after it is focused. Note that when this is done, depending on your camera's settings, the camera also may meter the shot. If the reframed shot has a different tonal range, it may end up being over or under exposed. It's best to have the camera meter again once you've reframed, but still keeping the previous focus point. Or you can purchase a light meter and never be a hostage to the camera's metering again.
2. I'm not sure what lens you're using, but typically, zoom lenses aren't great wide open and at their widest focal length. In fact, all lenses perform worse at the corners than in the centre. This could very well be the reason.
3. What is in the corners that you are expecting to be focused? If you're taking a photograph of a subject in the middle of the frame, the camera may very well focus on that subject, but the background beyond, which would fall into the corners, will be out of focus. You should read up about depth of field and how it is affected by the hyper focal distance of a lens' focal length and aperture setting.
4. There are no focus points in the far corners. No camera has this, and no camera will focus on those corners.

Last edited by mischivo; 07-25-2009 at 02:20 PM.
07-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A picture that can be analyzed would help a lot to solve your problem.