Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
Forum Member

colorblind photography

I think it'd be amazing if you could get the colors of your photographs to accurately match exactly what you see everyday. I think that would be awesome and something people would be very interested in. You might need somebody to help you customize some settings or something, but if you could pull it off, I know I'd be very interested in the results.

BTW, a classmate/friend of mine at Valdosta State in the painting department was a color blind painter. He was really good, too (also had NO modesty whatsoever).

07-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Shouldn't be too hard. It should only be to turn off one color.
I would worry about color blindness as much as I worry about my bad vision. It's sad that you can't fix it with glasses or anything but it is no problem for your artistic talents!
08-01-2009, 07:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
LOL!!!
Your secret is safe with us..as long as you clients are not a member of the Pentax forums too!
I guess if they were on here, they probably would not be hiring me eh?

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_the_Artist Quote
I think it'd be amazing if you could get the colors of your photographs to accurately match exactly what you see everyday. I think that would be awesome and something people would be very interested in. You might need somebody to help you customize some settings or something, but if you could pull it off, I know I'd be very interested in the results.

BTW, a classmate/friend of mine at Valdosta State in the painting department was a color blind painter. He was really good, too (also had NO modesty whatsoever).
IMO If he got the colors to accurately match what he sees everyday, they would also match what we see. (yes I unclude myself). The final hurdle for me was to realize that regradless how my eyeballs interpret the color of an object, the true color of that object in the real world is the same.
We may ALL interpret each color in a unique way, for all we know.

So really, all needs to do is accurately REPRESENT the color true to how HIS EYES interpret the color. If he sees a photograph that he made, and the color matches the real world object 100%, then the photo is accurate.

Finally, this wont be as easy to accomplish if the OP has a problem with monochromatic vision.

However, check out this test:
Grab any RAW file you have. Open it and desaturate to -100, totally desaturated. Now, move up to the color temp slider and slide that thing up to 10,000K. Notice how the skin tones really brighten up? Now, slide it down 2,000K and notice how the shadows overwhelm everything.
You can do the same with the green/magenta shift directly underneath the temp slider, but there is little (yet noticeable) effect.

During my learning experience, this was an important factor in learning to correct skin tones that came out of the camera a bit off due to difficult lighting and is now one of my favorite ways to make a black and white.
08-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #19

Hey Peter,

I'm red/green colorblind, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying photography. As someone already said, the important thing is to capture the image according to what YOUR eyes see. You can always have someone who isn't "colorblind" double check your photos for "color accuracy." I take pictures for MY enjoyment. If someone doesn't like the colors in my photos, that's their problem, not mine.

08-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Accuracy of how people visualize colors has intrigued me since I first noticed that my eyes see colors differently. I'm not colorblind or anything, but I've noticed that if I close my left (dominant) eye, I perceive things with a more blue cast to everything. Looking at healthy lawn for example, if I open one eye and close the other, and then swap which eye is open and closed, it is easy to see. The lawn will look more green and vivid with the left than the right. When I do that, I also notice a change in tint in the rest of the environment as well. If anything, my left eye might cast things slightly more red. Since I'm left eye dominant, which I also believe to be the more accurate eye for colors, I don't get too much of the effect from the right eye's difference in color perception. Then again, I've never mentioned this observation to anyone before for fear of sounding even more nuts to my family/friends, maybe this is common.

What I'm getting at (besides wondering how out of the ordinary this is) is that if you are able to find a way to technically view the data of the color rather than trusting what you perceive the color to be, there's a good chance you'll produce a more technically color accurate image than those of us who believe we see colors properly and are running around making images with our uncalibrated eyes that may be lying to us.

MJB DIGITAL, you seem to have found a way to work with it as the colors on your Flickr look good to me, but then again, I guess I just stated above my visualization of colors isn't perfect either.
08-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Ha! I just realized that the Laura and Marcus sneak peek right on top was a quick and dirty process for them to see some wedding pictures. I sent them a note that some of the colors are off, including skin tones so....
I'm chuckling right now after reading this thread and looking at my pictures.
08-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #22
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
It's mostly an issue (for me) of white balance and messing around with colors when post processing. Also, it's hard for me to tell if people's faces are too red, etc.
Those are exactly my problems as well. Not only with colors of people's faces but flowers and everything else.
08-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
Some of you suggested B&W photography but to my colorblind eyes, I personally find that kind of photography extremely boring (no disrespect to those who do enjoy B&W, it's just me).

Strange thing is I love fall colors and love taking pictures of fall leaves but I do need help pointing to the right direction of fall colors and I cannot do it on my own by myself. To my eyes, I don't see the leaves change colors but the only fall color I can actually see is bright yellow. The reds, purples, pinks, oranges I don't see at all. Fall is just around the corner and I can't wait to take pictures of more fall colors!

08-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If white balance is an issue, why not shoot with a gray card (like a Whibal card) to set your white point in PS raw processing? I like mine and use it whenever I want the colours to look natural.

Pat
08-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried high contrast, high-grain black and white?