Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What adapters do I need to use older Pentax lenes?

What do I need, so I can use lenes with different mounts?
Is there an adapter I can use? Also, is there a downside to using a lens with a different mount?

I have a K10D.

Thanks!

07-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There is only one adapter you need on one old Pentax lens and that is with the screw mount or what is commonly called the M42 mount.
With this you will need the M42 adapter.
A lot of the people here swear over using the original Pentax m42 adapter.
They say it is easier to remove and it even doesn't need a removal tool.
You can find these when you Google it and also on Ebay.
The original comes in a green plastic packaging.
All the mounts that came after the M42 would be the bayonet mount or K-mount.
There had been variations of the K-mount but it's all basically the same bayonet mount with either "A" contacts or more contacts (electrical) for autofocus systems and the like.
07-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
And anything that is K mount (K, KA, KAF, etc) requires no adapters. That means all Pentax SMC (aka "K"), M, A, F, FA, FA-J, and DA lenses require no adapter.
07-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Beware of some M42 adapters

As GerryL pointed out, many people swear by the original genuine Pentax adapter. Pentax calls it the "Mount adapter K". As he said, it is said to be easier to mount/dismount and is generally made better.

That said, I have a third party adapter that works fine for me. There is a little spring clip that is supposed to hold the adapter in place when mounted on the camera. This is what some people find hard to remove on non-Pentax adapters. On mine, the spring fell off and I don't miss it. Friction is more than enough to keep it in place. I have one 50mm, f/1.4 Super Takumar lens that I like to use on my K10D. I just leave the adapter on the lens.

There are two styles of adapters. The genuine Pentax adapter and many third-party clones fit completely inside the k-mount opening on the camera. This allows the lens to fit flush with the camera body and allows proper infinity focus.

The other style of adapter is cheaper, but has a large flange that extends beyond the opening in the camera. This thin flange sits between the lens and the camera and prevents the lens from focusing to infinity. These are fine, if you are only interested in using the lens for close-up or macro work. For general use, they should be avoided.

In use, I simply set my Super Takumar to manual mode and set the camera to either M or Av mode. The M42 lenses can not communicate with the camera in any way, regarding its aperture setting. Nor can the camera operate the aperture stop-down mechanism. That is why the lens must be in manual mode.

In short, any Pentax lens made for 35mm cameras can be used on a Pentax dslr. There are limits, of course. A manual-focus lens does not become an auto-focus lens. There are some steps that you may need to take, in order to let the camera operate with older lenses, depending on exactly which generation of lens you use. Come back and let us know what lenses you have in mind and we can help with specifics.

07-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the the great info.

I need to start hitting up some garage sales
07-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluebronco Quote
Thanks for the the great info.

I need to start hitting up some garage sales
That's what I have been doing but no luck!
I guess, I will find some great lenses someday..someday.
One of your best bets would be to look for the lenses at your local Pawnshops.
If they haven't gotten wind that the old Pentax lenses can be used on the very recent Pentax DSLR's then, you will find the prices for these lenses pretty cheap.
Don't look overexcited though when you do find one in a Pawnshop 'coz if you do and they begin to be curious and research around..you're screwed the next time you buy a lens there as you may not be able to get it so cheap the 2nd time.
This rule is also true for garage sales 'coz if they notice that the lens have some sort of value to you, then you can kiss your greens good-bye.
Be discrete and we can all still enjoy these lenses for just a few bucks!
07-30-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
Forum Member

i bought some old lenses screw type and i bought the adaptor off ebay but when i put a lens on my K20d it wont take a pic the F icon blinks and wont let me change it or click to take a pic any ideas ?
07-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shane33 Quote
i bought some old lenses screw type and i bought the adaptor off ebay but when i put a lens on my K20d it wont take a pic the F icon blinks and wont let me change it or click to take a pic any ideas ?
The unkind answer would be to suggest you read the manual.

The kind answer would be to refer you to the sticky thread second from the top of the beginner's corner. It is all covered there.

07-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, Mike is right.
You have to change something on the menu to enable use of these type of lenses, then you have to take the photo in manual and stop down.
Everything should be covered on the link that Mike provided on how to use manual lenses on the DSLR's.