Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 04:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
Yes it was well said

But I still love that brick of a K1000
I'm sincerely happy for you and admire you for it. I think (hope, anyway) we all know the feeling of having such a connection with a camera. I would never wish to talk you out of loving it. I just wanted to point out some reasons why others may not love it.

07-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #32
Pentaxian

What I think would make a ton of sense would be if Pentax (or someone else) were to pursue this would be a digital back that could be retrofitted onto an existing K1000 (by removing the door that opens the film compartment). If this were even moderately well implemented, and not too exorbitantly price, I think they really would sell close to a million of them. It would allow them to leverage the enormous popularity and cult following of the camera pretty directly. Whereas if someone were to put out a merely "K1000-like" DSLR, then I do agree that it's a bit *too* primitive to really catch on. As nostalgic as some can be about the camera, I just don't think that many people would be buying a new camera without no DOF preview or AF or AE capabilities whateover; Pentax would be pretty much forced to make the camera rather more than "just" a digital K1000. But with the digital back, it would be clear from the outset that the camera body would remain unchanged, and there are so many of them already out there, I'll bet a significant number of owners would bite.

If I so much as heard a rumor that someone was actively working on this, I'd be on Ebay that same day buying a K1000 for myself (to go along with the one my wife has had since high school).
07-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Marc, that's well said also - a digital back for K1000 would be sweet

I've just got another rant :

(stands on soap box)

As I've already said K1000 clones (Vivitar label) are still being manufactured NEW and sold at major retail stores (Wal-Mart) for a whopping $200

Therefore there is a retail market for K1000 - period, it can not be debated, people are buying those.

I'm not even counting the numerous eBay sales of used K1000's, I'm talking about retail.

We also know there is a big retail market for digicams and dSLR's - that too can not be debated.

I am acquainted with a high school photography teacher (he's who I bought my K1000 from) and he is switching to all digital - no more film ... His students use digicams !!!

Heresy ? Probably

Practical ? Unquestionably

That's why I think there is a market for a digital K1000 - a "digital student camera" that still teaches the fundamentals of photography without any other whiz-bangs to distract.

OK that's my closing

And to the naysayers :

Don't be a bunch of haters - this is the "Pentax forum" after all and I'm talking about a "Pentax" camera - if you give me grief for my love of the K1000 it would be ironic

Cheers,
Craig
07-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

If I so much as heard a rumor that someone was actively working on this, I'd be on Ebay that same day buying a K1000 for myself
I'd be in line for a couple of those backs right behind you, but I still wouldn't purchase a K1000, as that "mythical" back would also fit & work with my KX & KM.
By the way, do you think, with a little tweaking & a larger sensor, that back might work on my Minolta Autocord?

07-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I'd be in line for a couple of those backs right behind you, but I still wouldn't purchase a K1000, as that "mythical" back would also fit & work with my KX & KM.
By the way, do you think, with a little tweaking & a larger sensor, that back might work on my Minolta Autocord?
although I would be golden as I own a KX, I wouldnt buy it unless they had an MX version. but as far as I can see, the most logical camera of choice for such a back would be an LX. im not sure how the metering would do though.

QuoteQuote:
As I've already said K1000 clones (Vivitar label) are still being manufactured NEW and sold at major retail stores (Wal-Mart) for a whopping $200

Therefore there is a retail market for K1000 - period, it can not be debated, people are buying those.
being available and on the sehlf is not the same as selling. ive seen the camera kit you talk about and in my local wal-mart it was locked up in the glass case in the coner and their was not one on display. its just like the nikon FM10. yes its still available and im sure some people are buying it, but at 337 MSRP and average retail ate what 210 220 USD? I m fairly certain they arent selling too many.
07-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I said it's not debatable but you love to argue

I will call Wal-Mart and see if I can find out how many units were sold this year ... If they will hook me up with that info ...

Yes I'm sure Wal-Mart loves to stock their shelves with items that don't sell, that's how they became so successful ... (sarcasm)

I'll try calling Vivitar too

Edit :

OK I called Vivitar they went out of business and sold the name to Sakar, they referred me to WalMart

I called Walmart headquarters and they referred to me to my local store manager

I called him and he said our local store doesn't carry that ...

Ah well, I concede

But I'll keep my K1000 anyway

Last edited by spystyle; 07-29-2009 at 02:20 PM.
07-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Why not just buy a Canon 5D II or Nikon D700 or Sony A900, and use them manually with a light meter?
07-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can dig it, but it seems cost prohibitive

I'd like a $300 or less solution

07-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BING ! That's it That's what I'm talking about

That along with a big bright viewfinder and an unobtrusive needle meter = perfection in my opinion
KX. Period.

If you've never used one you can't know how two letters can answer all these questions.

But you could start by looking here (just by coincidence).

Pentax Forums For Sale: KX in Box
07-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I can dig it, but it seems cost prohibitive

I'd like a $300 or less solution
Oh. Well, keep dreaming. Considering that the cheapest of the cheap dSLRs with smaller than full frame sensors aren't yet at that price point, I doubt the full frames will ever reach it.
07-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #41
Banned

I said it's not debatable but you love to argue

I will call Wal-Mart and see if I can find out how many units were sold this year ... If they will hook me up with that info ...

Yes I'm sure Wal-Mart loves to stock their shelves with items that don't sell, that's how they became so successful ... (sarcasm)

I'll try calling Vivitar too

Edit :

OK I called Vivitar they went out of business and sold the name to Sakar, they referred me to WalMart

I called Walmart headquarters and they referred to me to my local store manager

I called him and he said our local store doesn't carry that ...

Ah well, I concede

But I'll keep my K1000 anyway
no such thing as 'not debatable'. I was captain of my debate team in high school. I should know. and debating is not arguing. they are two completely different things. but yes I love to debate.

as for the vivitar. I think its been common knowledge for a while that sakar owns vivitar and the vivitar name is all thats really left. as for the cameras.... did you really believe that they were selling? honestly? the type of people that buy a camera at wal-mart are looking for a cheap P&S digital. not an overpriced cheaply made film SLR.
07-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #42
Damn Brit

For anyone that is interested, Cosina/Voigtlander have an Aperture Priority SLR that can be used fully manually. It comes with a 35-70 zoom and can be had for $189.
It's a K-mount camera BTW.

The Photo Village :: Cameras & Photo Gear :: Digital & 35mm Film Cameras :: 35mm Film Cameras :: Voigtlander 35mm System :: Voigtlander SLR Cameras :: Camera & Accessories :: Cameras :: Voigtlander VSL43 with 35-70mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens
07-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
...I was captain of my debate team in high school...
So that's why you are so incessant Now I see

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
Oh. Well, keep dreaming. Considering that the cheapest of the cheap dSLRs with smaller than full frame sensors aren't yet at that price point, I doubt the full frames will ever reach it.
Interesting

I hadn't even thought of "full frame" at all - I had envisioned something similar to the 8 MP digital sensor found in my $60 Kodak v803 pocket camera

Full frame would be neat but I think it would put it over the "student camera budget"

I'm thinking DX sensor
07-30-2009, 04:53 AM   #44
Veteran Member

If there were a viable market for it, it would already exist.

Some folks once started development on an insert which would be the size of a 35mm film canister and fit inside the camera, with a sensor poking out and going over the pressure plate. That would essentially make any 35mm film camera a digital camera.

The project was dropped.
07-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #45
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If there were a viable market for it, it would already exist.

Some folks once started development on an insert which would be the size of a 35mm film canister and fit inside the camera, with a sensor poking out and going over the pressure plate. That would essentially make any 35mm film camera a digital camera.

The project was dropped.