Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I didn't expect to read that ... No love for the K1000 ? I'll have to think about that

07-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
Well I didn't expect to read that ... No love for the K1000 ? I'll have to think about that

no love what so ever. and I had a really nice one. I gave it to a school for use in a photography class. don't regret it one bit. have you tried other manual K mount bodies? other K series bodies? seriously they all do the same thing, but are far superior to a K1000.

07-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A green K1000 ? I am green with envy

I have (right now)

The Pentax ME super and I don't care much for it.

Also the Canon AE-1 with motor drive and it's pretty cool, but I still prefer the K1000

Then I have a couple modern film cameras, Canon Rebel K2 and Nikon N75 - both with battery grips and "kit" zoom lenses. Nifty however ...

I still prefer the K1000 to any other camera ... I just wish it had a digital sensor

I may be mad, but I subscribe to "less is more"

It might be a phase though, maybe I'll wake up one day and want a GPS and a cell phone and a video camera all built into my camera The way cameras and cell phones are evolving I think at one point they'll be indistinguishable

Have fun!
Craig
07-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I may be mad, but I subscribe to "less is more"
so do I. that's why I use an MX. you want less? why even have a light meter built in? its obtrusive in the viewfinder. it requires batteries. fast shutter speeds? who needs em', hot shoe for flash? nope. auto aperture lenses? please. what you need is an Asahi Pentax. Cameras of my collection - the Original Asahi-Pentax yup, less is more.

07-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a nice link
07-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #21
Banned

That's a nice link
very nice indeed.
07-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
ive owned several. still don't understand it. it didn't even have a shutter lock for cripes sake...es .
yes it did cable that screwed into the shutter release

07-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I wish there was a digital camera obscura :ugh:

/sarcasm
07-28-2009, 05:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sarcasm?

You're fired
07-28-2009, 05:21 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty film cameras lying about the place, all in working condition, and ranging from the 1920s through the early 1980s. I understand the appeal of stripping away layers of technological advances and thoroughly enjoy shooting with stuff so primitive they make the K1000 look ultra-modern......but I still have not the slightest interest in buying or using one.

I use box cameras with the sole control being a shutter lever. I use old rangefinders from the 1940s through 1970s, twin-lens reflex jobs from the 1950s through 1970s, folding cameras from the 1950s, Pentax screwmount SLRs from the 1960s and 1970s. They all have charm and appeal to me. I love them one and all.

But what is it the K1000 has that I should find appealing? Very basic controls? Got that in spades elsewhere....and I can replicate it at will on my DSLRs anyway. Very basic controls in an SLR format? Got that on my SV, which has the added benefit of being a work of art....unlike the brick which is the K1000. Large uncluttered viewfinder? It has that, without even a meter needle to distract me. It lets me shoot my M42 lenses from an open-aperture, which the K1000 won't let me do. And it allows me to easily stop down the aperture to check DOF if I want, which is something you can't do on the K1000 with K-mount lenses.

I agree that it is (or was) a great tool for teaching the basics of photography. Just the bare bones essentials so that students don't get confused over the difference of learning the camera and learning photography, which as we know are two different things. There is no gainsaying the fact that it stayed in production for a long time and that lots of folks learned a lot from it, got a lot of good photos from it, and that they are still perfectly capable of taking fine photographs.

But that doesn't mean that everybody is going to even want one....much less love one. I use my K20D every day, and I can't work up the slightest bit of love for it. I have a Pentax ME and I can't work up any feeling for it either. My SV and ESII, though.....I love them better than some of my blood relatives.

QuoteOriginally posted by captmacq Quote
yes it did cable that screwed into the shutter release
That's a cable release, not a shutter lock. A shutter lock prevents you from accidentally pressing the shutter and wasting an exposure when you advance the film even though you're not ready to shoot yet. Think of it as the pre-electronic version of an "OFF" switch.
07-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty film cameras lying about the place, all in working condition, and ranging from the 1920s through the early 1980s. I understand the appeal of stripping away layers of technological advances and thoroughly enjoy shooting with stuff so primitive they make the K1000 look ultra-modern......but I still have not the slightest interest in buying or using one.

I use box cameras with the sole control being a shutter lever. I use old rangefinders from the 1940s through 1970s, twin-lens reflex jobs from the 1950s through 1970s, folding cameras from the 1950s, Pentax screwmount SLRs from the 1960s and 1970s. They all have charm and appeal to me. I love them one and all.

But what is it the K1000 has that I should find appealing? Very basic controls? Got that in spades elsewhere....and I can replicate it at will on my DSLRs anyway. Very basic controls in an SLR format? Got that on my SV, which has the added benefit of being a work of art....unlike the brick which is the K1000. Large uncluttered viewfinder? It has that, without even a meter needle to distract me. It lets me shoot my M42 lenses from an open-aperture, which the K1000 won't let me do. And it allows me to easily stop down the aperture to check DOF if I want, which is something you can't do on the K1000 with K-mount lenses.

I agree that it is (or was) a great tool for teaching the basics of photography. Just the bare bones essentials so that students don't get confused over the difference of learning the camera and learning photography, which as we know are two different things. There is no gainsaying the fact that it stayed in production for a long time and that lots of folks learned a lot from it, got a lot of good photos from it, and that they are still perfectly capable of taking fine photographs.

But that doesn't mean that everybody is going to even want one....much less love one. I use my K20D every day, and I can't work up the slightest bit of love for it. I have a Pentax ME and I can't work up any feeling for it either. My SV and ESII, though.....I love them better than some of my blood relatives.

That's a cable release, not a shutter lock. A shutter lock prevents you from accidentally pressing the shutter and wasting an exposure when you advance the film even though you're not ready to shoot yet. Think of it as the pre-electronic version of an "OFF" switch.
Mike

what a great rant! Agree 100% with you.
07-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote

Another 100% ditto from me. The amount of rabid fans the K1000 generates never ceases to amaze me. It must be bred by inexperience with other cameras.
07-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes it was well said

But I still love that brick of a K1000
07-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Another 100% ditto from me. The amount of rabid fans the K1000 generates never ceases to amaze me. It must be bred by inexperience with other cameras.
this is exactky what I have always thought. and I stand by that assumption as its the most logical. the K1000 is probably the most well known camera ever built. and as such you get all sorts of people trying to be cool or hip by liking the K1000 simply because its a K1000. fine. but its still a sorry camera compared to any of the other K series. or the MX or the LX. and none of these can really touch spotmatic and pre-spotnatic bodies.
07-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I Have a K1000, well, two actually. And I like them. I like the K1000 alot. I like the weight, the size, the sound of the shutter and results I can get out of it. I like that when one of the two stopped working, I was able to open the base plate, push a lever back into position, and fix the camera. I like that I had this K1000 years before the internet, and all I used the camera for was to take pictures. It was never a status symbol. I never knew Pentax made anything more advanced. It was not until I had a 386 pc and a 14.4 modem did I know that the camera had a cult following, or that Pentax made a K2, KX, or KM.

I also like the reductionist design it represents. It was not a state of the art camera like the SV or S3, the K1000 was a KM with features removed. I work as a designer for a company that builds custom products for both people with too much cash, and the government. I spend hours figuring out how to add some useless feature into the project, only to be told the project is now over weight or too expensive. I look at these projects and think, "if only I could strip this down to the basics, it would be so much better." That is what Pentax did with the K1000. It is a KM stripped to the basics. It represents design that goes against everything we see today. It is Pentax's unltimate "less is more" camera. Right now I can not think of any other Pentax that was created by removing so much. I admire the balls it took Pentax to put the K1000 on the market. It could never be done today.

As for not being familiar with other cameras, that might be true of some K1000 lovers but not all. There are plenty of us that have used, and continue to use a wide variety of cameras. I have a small colection of cameras. Again, it comes from my personality as a designer, I am curious as to how design problems are solved. I enjoy how technology changes, and the resulting changes in camera design. Combine that with a little CBA, and a camera collection is the result.

So there it is. That is why I like my K1000.

Pentax's underdog.