Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 03:55 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote

What (fluid, applicator) did you use to wipe off the sensor?

I blew on it, then used a small piece of cloth.

07-31-2009, 06:16 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote

What (fluid, applicator) did you use to wipe off the sensor?

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
I blew on it, then used a small piece of cloth.
OOOOOHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOO....
The sensor swab police will be at your door to confiscate your camera if you keep that up.
07-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have no personal experience to say how much damage you could cause by literally blowing on it (the danger of moisture from your breath condensing on the sensor) or from wiping with a cloth (the possibility ot scratching, or leaving behind smaller lint particles). Some say it's a very large danger, some say it's overstated. But do read up on the subject to at least know what the standard warnings are here. First line of defense should always be a simple rubber bulb (with intake filter) like the Rocket Blower; these and similar devices are widely available for just a few dollars at any camera store, Best Buy, etc.

After checking out the wealth of information that exists out there, i you still want to risk blowing and wiping, that's your business, but you do owe it to yourself to inform yourself at least a little.
07-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

For now..for him..problem solved..but I do hope he still reads this and furthers his research here as to how to really clean a sensor to avoid future (and avoidable) problems.

08-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, if the blower didn't work who has tried any of the swab type cleaners? I don't want to screw things up - I don't think I will - but I don't want to make any problems worse. There's a lot of information here Introduction - Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning.

I'm not averse to buying a kit sized for my K-10, and a few little dust spots aren't too bad when open at f4 or so but stopped to f18 they're pretty noticable.

Would a shop like Wolf Camera or something similar be worth paying - when I can do a lot of stuff on my own - I don't have a loupe but I do have a very nice magnifying lens and good lighting.