Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Foreign object somewhere in camera

This is driving me nuts.

Every time I shoot with my K10D, a black mark shows up in the upper right-hand corner of the frame. I've cleaned the lens, I've taken the filter off the lens and cleaned both sides of it, I've cleaned the other end of the lens, I've even wiped off the internal mirror.

It's still there. Has anyone else had this problem?

07-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Every time I shoot with my K10D, a black mark shows up in the upper right-hand corner of the frame. I've cleaned the lens, I've taken the filter off the lens and cleaned both sides of it, I've cleaned the other end of the lens, I've even wiped off the internal mirror.

Ever tried blowing sensor with air with a decent blower yet?

Best wishes.
Can
07-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Sample photo?
Sounds like possible dust on sensor.
07-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This is driving me nuts.

The hand of God? Oh wait, does the line always show up through someones body? If so you may want to watch the movie "The Omen" and see what caused that problem, maybe yours is similar.

Seriously though a sample would be helpful.

07-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

Focusing screen. There's a small latch that releases the screen holder (look in the mirror box above the mirror) - and you can take it out and somehow clean it. If you're lucky, the mark will be gone. If not, you will have both the black mark AND some dust bunnies, maybe even scratches. That's how my screen looks like....
07-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

Oh, wait, does it show up in the viewfinder or in the picture? If it's in the resulting picture, then ignore my post.
07-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, there are many objects in that camera made in Japan...

Post a sample shot so we can get a better idea.

07-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sure, go ahead and post a sample shot, but really, its 99.99% certain we are talking about sensor dust. Google the phrase to read about it, try the dust removal feature of the camera (toward the bottom of the setup menu), and if that fails, put the camera in sensor cleaning mode (also toward bottom of setup menu) and try to clean the sensor with an air blower. Again, google these terms so you know what we are talking about - there are probably thousands of sites and forum threads where this is discussed, so you should have no trouble finding information.

The other possibility, BTW, is a dead pixel. Again, Google is your friend, and after reading existing discussions and seeing pictures, it should be simple enough for you to figure which is going on in your particular case.
07-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Well, there are many objects in that camera made in Japan...
That would make them domestic objects from where I sit.
07-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If the black mark shows up in the same spot in every PHOTO that you take, then it's most likely something dirty on the sensor.

It you can see the black mark when you look thought the viewfinder, but it's not in the photos, then it's probably something on or behind the focussing screen.
07-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Dead pixels?
Probably not but if it is on the sensor and always on the picture, then rule out the viewfinder or mirror.
Could also be "inside" the lens which you don't regularly notice.
07-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's got to be dust. It's a semicircular black mark in the photo (but I don't see it when I'm looking through the viewfinder). I used the cleaning mode recently, which had no effect. I'm really tired of blending out the marks in the photos I take - I'll remove the lens tonight and see if I can get the freaking thing out. I'll post later to let you know what happens.

Thanks, all!
07-29-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you can't see it on the viewfinder then it must be on the sensor.
It might be too light to notice but must affect the exposure to light somehow.
Good luck on your endeavor.
I hope it turns out well as when it appears on the photo it is really more than annoying!
07-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, GerryL, you're so right! It's horribly annoying.

Well, I don't know if this is the recommended procedure, but I removed the lens, set the camera on B, hit the shutter button, then wiped off the sensor while the mirror was up. I then reattached the lens and (after reverting to my previous setting) took a test shot. I put the card in my computer and viewed the test image.

No black mark! None!

I only hope this has taken care of the problem. Seems like it has.
07-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I removed the lens, set the camera on B, hit the shutter button,
Put a fully charged battery in the camera.

Go to "Set-up" menu, hit the up arrow to go to the last item (Reset), up arrow again to the one above the last item (Sensor Cleaning), right arrow to dive into the sub-menu, up arrow to "Mirror up," OK to raise the mirror.

The mirror remains in up position until you turn the camera off (or battery runs out).

This is safer than using B. You don't want you finger slipping off the shutter release button while you're doing this.

QuoteQuote:
then wiped off the sensor while the mirror was up.
What (fluid, applicator) did you use to wipe off the sensor?

QuoteQuote:
I only hope this has taken care of the problem. Seems like it has.
I hope so too.