Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Question about the k20d viewfinder

When I look through the viewfinder, it seems grainy rather than clear. This is especially evident when I aim at a solid surface, such as a wall or the sky.
I also see a black dot in the same place in the viewfinder that doesn't appear in any picture I take. Here's my most recent noob question: if this is dust/grit, where are the possible places for dust/grit to be that would be visible in the viewfinder? Front of lens, back of lens, mirror, sensor, viewfinder itself? Also, what do I do about it, if anything?

07-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By graininess, do you mean what you see through the viewfinder is sharp but has flecks of black artifacts, or is what you see through the viewfinder blurry?

If artifacts, then dust is probably caught between the viewfinder screen and the eyepiece.
If blurry, try the diopter setting.
07-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Flecks of dust

It's sharp with flecks of black artifacts. When I get focus lock the object focused on is sharp. If I aim at the sky the viewfinder looks as if it has an even amount of dust on it. By even I mean that it there is no one area that is darker or lighter, the entire viewfinder seems "grainy" with a few single specks here and there. How do I address this? Thanks
07-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The "graininess" is normal - that the texture of the screen. Without this, there would be nothing for the image to form on. It's more visible in certain kinds of light and with certain lenses than with others.

The specks is probably on the focus screen. You can try blowing it off if it's on the underside. but if it's on the top of the screen, or anywhere else above it, you'd have to remove the screen to clean it, and chances are excellent you'd make it worse rather than better. And even if you manage to get it clean today, it will just get dusty again. Dust in the viewfinder is normal with any DSLR; might as well get used to it.

07-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can get used to it

Thanks for the input. I was worried it was something wrong with the camera or lens. You're right about it being more evident in certain light, I can barely see it when I take pictures indoors even when I'm looking for it.
04-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

I got a used k20d. My viewfinder is not sharp and hazy...I am ok with specks but I cannot sometimes even see the focus points. Diopter is adjusted appropriately. Is there a way to make it brighter...I wear glasses and that does not help either. I purchased a seperate cup eye piece which has not arrived yet. I am comparing it to my Nikon D90...any suggestions?