Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K200D or K20D or ???

Hey guys & gals,

I've decided its my time to make the jump to DSLR, which will be my first SLR. I've worked with the operating properties of SLR's before and am pretty familiar with them, although its still going to take some practice to get it down. Either way, I first need to buy a DSLR, and I dont know why, but for some reason I really like Pentax. It might be everyone I know telling me to go canikon or my desire to NOT be the same as everyone else. Overall though, I see what I like and I like what I see in Pentax cameras thus far. From the research I've done, I figured I'd be happy with the K200D as my first DSLR at around a $500+ price range. The only place's I've checked prices at are amazon, because from what I can tell, they are ALWAYS lowest. According to them anyway, I could get the K20D within about $150 of the K200D, both with kit lenses. Not sure why the K20D dropped so much in price? K-7?

I know they are both great cameras, and I was fine with the K200D before noticing how close the price was. As a newbie, do you guys think its worth going to the better, slightly more complicated K20D? Any reasoning behind going with one or the other?

Overall I'm going to use whatever camera I get primarily for severe weather, some action(mountain/snowboard, football), some astro, and nature photography. And I know all about the slow burst, I'm fine with that... Just have to make em count! Not sure about the slow focus? I am also aware that whatever camera I go with, I'll eventually outgrow and demand more. For now I'm pretty dang sure one of these will treat me right.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it a ton!

-Keith

07-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sevenboarder Quote
Hey guys & gals,

I've decided its my time to make the jump to DSLR, which will be my first SLR. I've worked with the operating properties of SLR's before and am pretty familiar with them, although its still going to take some practice to get it down. Either way, I first need to buy a DSLR, and I dont know why, but for some reason I really like Pentax. It might be everyone I know telling me to go canikon or my desire to NOT be the same as everyone else. Overall though, I see what I like and I like what I see in Pentax cameras thus far. From the research I've done, I figured I'd be happy with the K200D as my first DSLR at around a $500+ price range. The only place's I've checked prices at are amazon, because from what I can tell, they are ALWAYS lowest. According to them anyway, I could get the K20D within about $150 of the K200D, both with kit lenses. Not sure why the K20D dropped so much in price? K-7?

I know they are both great cameras, and I was fine with the K200D before noticing how close the price was. As a newbie, do you guys think its worth going to the better, slightly more complicated K20D? Any reasoning behind going with one or the other?

Overall I'm going to use whatever camera I get primarily for severe weather, some action(mountain/snowboard, football), some astro, and nature photography. And I know all about the slow burst, I'm fine with that... Just have to make em count! Not sure about the slow focus? I am also aware that whatever camera I go with, I'll eventually outgrow and demand more. For now I'm pretty dang sure one of these will treat me right.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it a ton!

-Keith
Heck yes. If the difference is only $150, then get it! The price of the K200D was $500 a year ago and still is. THe K20D was $999 a year ago and is now $600 to $700.
07-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Go with the k20! It's not much more cost and it's a lot more camera. I got the 200 when the price difference was significant and am even now thinking of ditching the 200 to upgrade. The 200 is great, but for a bigger viewfinder, sharper faster focus and lower light handling I would take it, even now with the k7 out (admittedly I would love to justify the additional expense and jump to the k7if money were not an issue...wow that is a pretty camera
07-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Only reason I can see to not choose the K20D at this point would be if you find it too big (I do) or if you do a lot of long exposure (eg, 10 seconds or more) work where the K20D's inability to turn off the dark frame subtraction would be a pain. I'd find it hard to go back to using proprietary batteries instead of AA's, but I'd put up with that.

07-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you got the money and don't plan on upgrading soon then go with the K20D.
It has lots more features than the K200D which you might find worthy.
1)Intervalometer (time-lapse shooting)
2)Corrective fine focusing for each lens you use
3)Camera front and back IR remote sensor (you can use the remote whether you're at the front of the camera or back).
4)..and other fine features worth the $150 extra.
If you plan to upgrade though, then go first with what you could let go of later on.
07-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Only reason I can see to not choose the K20D... ....if you do a lot of long exposure (eg, 10 seconds or more) work where the K20D's inability to turn off the dark frame subtraction would be a pain.
Great point, I wasn't aware of the long exposure issue till now. I do plan on doing lightening shots and some astrophotography. From what I've read this camera isn't much of a contender in those categories.

I know both of these cameras take amazing pictures if you know how to use them. For now I'm leaning towards saving a couple bucks and really trying to master the K200D. Once I'm there possibly look at the K20D or K7.
07-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
If you plan to upgrade though, then go first with what you could let go of later on.
Exactly...
07-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #8

K20d................Had the K200d and the K20 is better in many ways..If you get the K200 you will always be thinking about the K20

07-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there any doubt which camera you should get now?
07-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #10

Agree with Marc 100%. I didn't even consider the K20 because of its size. (Great camera though). The K200 is as big as I want to go. Any bigger and bulkier, I wouldn't be likely to take it with me as much, which would kind of defeat the purpose

BTW -- LOVE the K200D -- perfect choice for me.
07-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sevenboarder Quote
For now I'm leaning towards saving a couple bucks and really trying to master the K200D. Once I'm there possibly look at the K20D or K7.
I was in this boat too not too long ago comparing camera models and how a few dollars more could get me the next model up the ladder.
I finally decided just to get the K100D super 'coz I wanted to save and eventually upgrade to the K7..so, I dismissed my other cravings for the K200D and the K20D.
I'm happy with my K100D super now and have saved more dollars and have more lenses and accessories in preparation for the K7 maybe next year when all the bugs and quirks are fixed.
07-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Haha, you guys are not making this any easier! I think ultimately I'm just going to bite on the best deal I can find.

For the K20D folks, is the exposure issue not a problem for you?
07-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't own the K20D, but if you are planning to do astrophotography on anything more than a oncea-year-try-to-snap-a-shot-of-the-moon basis, then the inability to turn off DFS would seem to be huge. For 99% of photographers, I would assume it's a non-issue. I can't remember if I have mine turned on or off on my K200D, because aside from maybe once or twice by accident, I don't think I've taken a picture with longer than 1 second exposure in the year I've had the thing, and porbably did that only two or three times with my *istDS in the the three years I used that.