Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #31

I think lenses can make huge changes. KM is a good camera as I know.

07-31-2009, 08:17 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend going with the lenses you want first. I use the 10-17 as my wide angle and am very happy with it. I kind of wrestled with the choice of the fisheye or a rectilinear and went with the fish. I kind of like the effect but my friends tell me I'm slightly warped anyhow.

I'm outside and around water a lot and none of my lenses are weather sealed. A little common sense precaution and you will be ok. When your camera is hanging from the strap around your neck or shoulder the lens is pointed down and unless it is pouring hard enough for water to flow over the camera it won't get in. You wouldn't be shooting in those conditions anyhow. Buy the weather sealed if you like but you can use most lenses in all conditions with a little care.

Another reason to go with lenses now is the current trend in the business to sell the camera bodies cheap and make the profit on the lenses. Prices have gone up on glass quite a bit in the past few months and they will probably continue to rise. The lens vs. body discussion goes on constantly but one thing is certain, a so-so lens won't produce better shots on a new body.
07-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I got a K200 after having the K100, not because it would be that much better (although I came to appreciate the weather sealing after having it), but because I wanted a 2nd body, and at the time the K200 wasn't that much more than, for example, a used K100DS. If you spend a lot of money to go somewhere and the body dies, particularly with a less popular camera like Pentax you can't just walk down to the local store and get a new one (in most places.) Even having one shipped to you can problematic (shipping to a non-verified address can be problematic or at least involve delays, as I've learned.)

Paul
07-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I would purchase the DA 10-17mm over the Sigma 10-20mm at this time as there is the newer Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 to drive down the price of the older variable aperture 10-20mm in the future, assuming you would still be interested in this lens at some point. The way pricing has gone on Pentax lenses, I'm more inclined to buy them now for fear of not being able to afford them later.

Thank you
Russell

08-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Bodies come & go, glass is forever, at least with Pentax system it is.