Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The outdoor shots would be more likely to show the degradation, it seems to me, in terms of making certain types of artifacts much more common. Some shots you wouldn't see it at all; some it would be completely obvious (extra reflections, etc). Indoors, those sorts of reflections aren't the issue, but you might notice a drop in contrast given the right subject matter, and you'd also be likely to notice the AF working more slowly and having more trouble locking.

Not that I have test images to prove this; I just wanted to observe that one test shot without any obvious degradation doesn't prove there isn't any, just as one smoker who lives to be 100 doesn't prove there isn't any link between smoking and lung disease.
I guess we just have different ideas of what "significant" is. When I read that, I thought my photos from the day before might be messed up, so I rushed to check them, but can't find any serious degradation. I'll be out this weekend if its sunny, and I'll take the tripod to shoot a couple good comparison shots to see if I can spot the distance under the sun. I can spot a difference inside, as I said, the UV filter one is slightly darker, but I don't see it being significantly blurrier or anything like that. The way it was described I expected my images to be a mess.

Last edited by crossmr; 07-30-2009 at 04:32 PM.
07-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crossmr Quote
I guess we just have different ideas of what "significant" is. When I read that, I thought my photos from the day before might be messed up, so I rushed to check them, but can't find any serious degradation. I'll be out this weekend if its sunny, and I'll take the tripod to shoot a couple good comparison shots to see if I can spot the distance under the sun. I can spot a difference inside, as I said, the UV filter one is slightly darker, but I don't see it being significantly blurrier or anything like that. The way it was described I expected my images to be a mess.
Oh, no, nothing like that. Although in the situations where you do get a bad reflection from an uncoated filter, that is pretty obvious. But that's not ll that common. Mostly, we're not talking about picture-ruining degradation - we're talking about a slight reduction in contrast and sharpness, that sort of thing. Plain enough to see if you look for it, but nothing that's going to make the mother-in-law ask what's wrong with your pictures. I'd expect the difference between using a filter or not to be less than the difference between, say, the kit lens and the DA40.