Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Another focus question...I"m having issues

When selecting the focus area...is it best to set it to auto (when the camera selects the best AF point, even if the subject is not centered....I'm not exactly sure what that means, but that's what the manual says )

Or is it best to use center focus area....sets the focus area to the center of the veiw finder?

07-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I always find it most efficient to only use the centre focus point. I focus on whatever I need, reframe, and shoot. If you're shooting with automatic metering, follow my steps with a modification:
1. Focus on the subject
2. Reframe
3. Without letting go of the shutter, hit the button that forces the camera to meter the current composition
4. Take the shot

This is necessary in cases where exposure would change based on reframing/recomposing the shot. This can actually happen quite frequently, so make sure you do it.
07-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mischivo Quote
I always find it most efficient to only use the centre focus point. I focus on whatever I need, reframe, and shoot. If you're shooting with automatic metering, follow my steps with a modification:
1. Focus on the subject
2. Reframe
3. Without letting go of the shutter, hit the button that forces the camera to meter the current composition
4. Take the shot

This is necessary in cases where exposure would change based on reframing/recomposing the shot. This can actually happen quite frequently, so make sure you do it.
Actually, on Pentax DSLRs (I'm sure you are able to on other brands as well) you can lock exposure so the order that you follow above would be 3,1,2,4
07-29-2009, 05:52 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So with these steps...following them 3, 1, 2, 4....I should set my focusing area to center instead of Auto?

07-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What would you be locking exposure to if you make step three the first step? That order seems to imply that you first lock exposure to what you want your composition to be, then you use the centre point to focus, then you go back to the original frame again and take the shot? This seems more complicated to me because it involves more moving around. Just focus, recompose, meter, and shoot. I know that most cameras, including mine, can be programmed to continuously meter, regardless of whether focus is locked (I don't use it because I find it annoying). If you set your camera to this mode, just purge step three from the instructions and it's even more simple!
07-29-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I just find it easier that way, then I can concentrate on focusing and reframing. It's fairly easy to let you finger slip and lose the focus. Neither of us is right or wrong though, both methods work.

Beth, you'll often find there is more than one method, just try them all and pick the one that works best for you.
07-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Let the camera pick a subejct to focus on makes sense if you think your camera reads your mind well and always knows what you want to focus on. If your camera doesn't read your mind that well, you're betteroff choosing the focus poiint yourself - either by leaving it on center so you can focus & then recompose, or by using the selectable focus point method. (available on all pentax DSLR's except the K-m/K2000).