Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Comparing lens hoods

I searched here, and noticed some people recommending a fold back rubber lens hood, as its easier to stow in the bag.
Petal lens hoods weren't recommended.

however here in Korea they seem to be really popular. I don't see anyone without petal lens hoods and DSLR penetration in Korea is very high, I probably see easily 20+ people a day toting around Canons on Nikons.

Searching the online Korean sites has proven the petal hoods to be very popular as well, but I have found a couple others.

What is the chief problem with the petal ones? to me it seems like some light could come in where the hood is shortest.

Anyone got an example of pictures taken with a full circle and a petal? All of these are cheap, 52mm to match my kit DAL 18-55

2 of them are rubber matin brands.
http://gdimg4.gmarket.co.kr/goods_image2/middle_img/164/561/164561031.jpg
This guy is show bending back in the ad so he seems to be one of the fold back guy.

This is a shorter model
http://gdimg4.gmarket.co.kr/goods_image2/middle_img/155/785/155785932.jpg

http://gdimg4.gmarket.co.kr/goods_image2/middle_img/164/207/164207031.jpg

and one of a thousand petal hoods..

I'm hoping to get a 70-300 zoom to go with this, is it possible to use the same lens hood between them, or should I consider getting 2 different hoods?

07-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #2

Hi, crossmr I have also question regarding lens hood, so I write it here

I have bought 16-45/4 w/o lens hood, and I found this hood in pentaxstore Pentax PH-RBL 67mm Lens Hood - Only 55.99 - SRS Microsystems, but it costs 55 GBP, I found also similar hood http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/2300/Pentax-PH-RBM-67mm-Lens-Hood.html, which costs 10 GBP. My question is, if I could use the PH-RBM (which is dedicated for 17-70/4) for 16-45/4? Maybe there is someone who has both lenses and can check it for me?
07-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

The DAL 18-55 should come with its own dedicated hood right? not so sure about L version, I and II sure have those. AFAIK petal lenses allow the hood to be deeper without vignetting - by cutting out some portions that would have blocked the light - thus the shape.
I do not think you can get a petal hood for 70-300 (which, afaik, usually comes with its own hood, independent of its maker). The front element on those usually rotates when focusing, and so if you put a petal hood on it, it will rotate while you focus. With circular hood, that has no effect, with petal hood - well, kills the purpose.

Bo.
07-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Not sure where you saw people recommending against petal hoods, but they are really ideal - they are usually for specific lenses and are the optimum shape (or strive for a balance between optimum shape and reasonable size, anyhow). Whereas the generic rubbers one are seldom exactly right for any lens. They can indeed be more convenient at times, but the petal hood designed for the 18-55 is nice because it is reversible, allowing you to sotre it on the lens in your bag without taking up much additional room. So with the 18-55 DA-L, I'd definitely recommend using the petal hood - which unfortunately, it doesn't come with (the other versions fo the 18-55 do).

07-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So the petal hood I've shown there, is it sufficient or should I be looking for a specific brand/model petal hood? I'm not sure if I could find the pentax one here or not..
07-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've always preferred fold down rubber hoods. Folds in or out of position in a fraction of a second & protects the lens like a bumper on a car. Unfortunately, certain sizes are becoming harder to obtain, especially high quality examples.
07-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I searched specifically for lens hoods with pentax in the description.
I actually found the specific Pentax lens hood that comes with the DA, it is around $26. While the other petal lens hoods are around $5.20. however from the pictures it looks like the shorter petals on the pentax brand are higher up and block more light than on the 3rd party generic one.

Pentax: http://gdimg4.gmarket.co.kr/goods_image2/middle_img/152/286/152286765.jpg

Generic one: http://gdimg4.gmarket.co.kr/goods_image2/middle_img/152/870/152870012.jpg

is this going to result in significantly different pictures?
07-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
pbo
Veteran Member

If it's higher up on original, you can be at least sure the 3rd party hood will not block TOO much light. So it will still be usable. The thing about it is, you have to screw it on the lens filter ring, while with original, it clips on (sorta bayonet mount), both normally and in reverse.

07-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The petal hoods are optimized for a specific focal length and filter ring diameter. One example was a fellow in these forums who bought a DA 12-24 with the petal hood, and the hood was vignetting. The seller had accidentally sent the hood for the DA* 16-50. The mount is the same size, but the shape of the hood is much different.

One caveat - the hoods are perfect at the lens' widest focal length on a zoom lens, and get less and less effective as the focal length increases. The petal shape is what a 2x3 ratio rectangle looks like through the lens. The cutouts are for the corners not to be blocked while the longer portions are tight to the sensor/film field of view.