Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
Closed Account

Shipping to Canada questions

Hello, I am pretty green to the dSLR thing so I have never really bought lenses/accesories online. I was just wondering how often you get hit by GST/PST when buying from the USA or elsewhere.

Also, I am planning to get some lens from keh, and they provide a few different options, any in particular helps reduce the duty? I have heard that fedex is usually lower than ups but would like to know from experience of others and whatnot.

Thanks

07-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The best shipper into Canada is Fed/Ex mail. After that, regular parcel post. I've had so many problems with UPS that i won't let them ship anything for me. If a shipper insists on using UPS, they don't want my business.
As far as customs go, it's pretty hit and miss. You'll always pay GST/PST, sometimes you'll pay customs duties as well. There doesn't seem to be a pattern.
07-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brokerage fee is included if you choose 2nd-day or higher priority from B&H, Adomara or KEH and you also have to pay PST/GST (unless you live in Alberta). If possible, I would use USPS, then PST/GST is a hit and miss which depends on declared value or if it is declared as gift item. Also, Canada customs charge $5 for handling fee if PST/GST is applicable collected by Canada Post.

Don't forget the warranty if purchased from the US (treat it as International warranty - typically 1 year).
07-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2 more options :

Get the item shipped to a FedEx shipping center SSouth of the border and go pick-it up yourself. You'll save the brokerage and Canadian shipping fees and you'll save also a little on tax since you won't have the brokerage/manutentioning/shipping to put a tax on

Ask the sender to register-it as a GIFT. Presents are duty free so you won't have fees to pay at your door to get the package

07-30-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I find it's about 50/50 with general purchases, but I think there is an exemption under NAFTA for photographic equipment and I've never paid any import duties on a lens or camera.

Once you know the item you want, call your local CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) office and they can tell you exactly how much will be due if the item is screened.

Also, with the tremendous volume of items crossing the border they can't possibly catch everything, so there is a chance that even if duties are payable they won't actuall screen your item for duties.
07-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Avoid any GROUND shipping (UPS/FedEx/DHL) and there will be no brokerage fee (unless you have a large # of items in a single shipping).
07-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips. Most definitely helpful.

One more quick question, not sure if anyone here would know but browsing through ebay I noticed a lot of manfrotto equipment being sold from South Korea for really good prices and the sellers seem to have a good rep. I am still very suspicious though, heh. I dunno, are the manfrotto things manufactured in Korea or something along those lines?

07-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I get everything shipped into a buddy in Bellingham WA and then pick it up. Only a hour from home. Cheers JIM
07-31-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by betamax Quote
Thanks for all the tips. Most definitely helpful.

One more quick question, not sure if anyone here would know but browsing through ebay I noticed a lot of manfrotto equipment being sold from South Korea for really good prices and the sellers seem to have a good rep. I am still very suspicious though, heh. I dunno, are the manfrotto things manufactured in Korea or something along those lines?
Most Manfrotto goods are either entirely made in China, or (like Gitzo) the nearly-complete parts are made in China and finally fully assembled in Italy. Gruppo Manfrotto still has a factory in northern Italy (I think) for the higher-end gear, but most of the raw material (carbon and aluminum tubes, cast magnesium parts) is shipped in. At least this was the story from an industrial designer there.

Anyways, a Korean vendor may pay less for something due to distribution and shipping costs to that country, along with tariffs and taxes. Plus, currency exchange rates play a part in the "good price on ebay." Buy now, while the Canadian dollar is strong(-ish), if you think you can trust the seller.
07-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Likewise, I have stuff shipped to a cousin or to a parcel receiving service and bring stuff back myself.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
I get everything shipped into a buddy in Bellingham WA and then pick it up. Only a hour from home. Cheers JIM