Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 07:00 AM   #1

about Sigma 70-200mm

I saw this lenses on Amazon. It looks pretty nice. Macro function is pretty cool. However, I read the reviews. It sounds like the quality of this lenses is not very stable. Anybody used it?(I bought a 50-135 after read review. but still very interested in this lenses)
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras

07-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
I saw this lenses on Amazon. It looks pretty nice. Macro function is pretty cool. However, I read the reviews. It sounds like the quality of this lenses is not very stable. Anybody used it?(I bought a 50-135 after read review. but still very interested in this lenses)
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 DG HSM II Macro Zoom Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras
I have one and very satified. Fast focus, good IQ and well built but it is heavy. The more I use it the better results I get. Reviews are simply someone's opinion just like mine. Best thing you can do is see what long term users say about it or try one and judge for yourself. If you are not satified return it.
07-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have one, and it's great except that's relatively heavy and not weather-sealed. I was considering switching to a 50-135mm, but recently I used the lens to get some tennis shots and I'm quite happy with the extra reach.

It's a bit soft wide open, but quite sharp at f/4. The sharpness is similar to the Canon equivalent (IS), but the Nikon equivalent is much sharper. For $800 or so, it's quite a steal compared to the others.
08-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one. I really like it. It has produced some great images for me. Don't have anything to compare to in that range though. Also beware that HSM slows down in extreme heat. From what I've heard, there's no worries. There are a few threads about that.

I'll agree with krypticide, it gets heavy on short hikes and it would be great if it were weathersealed. Then again, if it had that, it'd be in the price range of the DA*60-250 that I couldn't afford.

08-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
I have one. I really like it. It has produced some great images for me. Don't have anything to compare to in that range though. Also beware that HSM slows down in extreme heat. From what I've heard, there's no worries. There are a few threads about that.

I'll agree with krypticide, it gets heavy on short hikes and it would be great if it were weathersealed. Then again, if it had that, it'd be in the price range of the DA*60-250 that I couldn't afford.
Thanks guys. Great information!!!