Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Heard anything about Tamron 10-24/3,5-4,5 ?

I am wondering if anybody have heard anything about the Tamron 10-24/3,5-4,5 lens? Is it worth buing? I have tried to find reviews about the lens without luck.
The other lens Im thinking of is Sigma 10-20/4-5.6. What Ive understand its a good one.

07-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
emr

There will also soon be an f/3.5 version of the Sigma worth considering. Dpreview mentioned earlier that the K mount version would be out in August, while I believe somebody here talked about October.
08-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
HeG

Original Poster
Okey, thanx for that information.

Nobady else that have heard of the lens or have it...?
08-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HeG, I'm interested to hear some real life comments as well. From what I've read, it isn't anything too special, but not a horrible performer either.

As new as it is and the less than perfect reports, maybe no one has felt the need to take a try with it to see if it is worth gaining the extra 4mm over the tried and true Sigma 10-20??

08-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
emr

HeG, I recently asked the same question in another thread since I had found that lens to be so much cheaper today than Sigma 10-20mm or Pentax 12-24mm. Gawan had posted a link to the Dpreview review of the lens also, but not specifically in K mount.

Searching the net has give me the impression that the lens probably is worse that its competitors, but with suh a price difference it just might be worth it. I don't know why there is so little information on this lens. Perhaps it has not been marketed actively in areas where most of forum members reside.
08-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was browsing b&h and on their websites its listed as "in stock" for pentax mount.

Tamron | B001 SPAF10-24mm f / 3.5-4.5 DI II Zoom | B001P-700
08-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hmm, pretty much the same price as the sigma. I might have to go downtown Chicago this weekend. If I do, I'll try to stop by a shop and compare the two.
08-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
Inactive Account

DPreview ?

As in this thread about the DPreview of the Tamron 10-24mm, most people thought it was a dog, but when I read it it seemed like the conclusion was pretty positive, saying this in the review of the Sigma 10-20:
Compared to the Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di-II, the Sigma is perhaps starting to show its age; the Tamron is significantly sharper across most of the frame at wideangle, although it has serious problems wide open, and the extreme corners tend to be rather soft. Towards the long end, though, the Sigma edges ahead; but it's probably fair to say that wideangle zooms aren't particularly bought to be used in this range, which is shared with the typical kit zoom. The Sigma also shows notable control of lateral chromatic aberration, but against that the Tamron has significantly lower distortion and falloff. This makes the choice between the two less than entirely clear-cut, however the Tamron probably edges it overall, unless you intend to shoot a lot wide open, or really need the Sigma's HSM focusing.
Am I missing something? It seems to say that the Tamron is better, but most people on this forum love the Sigma 10-20 and bash the Tamron.

What say you, forum friends?