Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Auto Takumar on K20d

It just occured to me that this is probably a beginner question.

I just bought an Auto Takumar 55mm 1.8 on Ebay for $19 before I thought about there being a mechanical difference between auto/super/SMC takumars. Will I be able to manually set the apeture on the Auto Takumar while it's attached to my K20d? Did I just make a purchasing mistake? If I can't set the apeture while it's on my camera, was this a useless purchase?

07-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your new lens should be very similar to the later Super-Takumar 55/1.8, i.e. fully automatic aperture and auto/manual switch.

Steve

Die Cast Pro - Honeywell Pentax H3v with Auto Takumar 55mm f/1.8
08-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
iht
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You might want to read this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/47074-smc-taku...8-odd-pin.html
08-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I got my auto-Takumar in the mail today and it's beautiful. I can get the manual setting to function just fine. There is no dust on any inside lens surface. I just love the feel of old lenes.

But I have one question about it. When focusing, both lens elements move simultaneously (I know old lenses do this). When I'm focused to infinity, everything looks fine, but when I'm focused to the other extreme, the lens appears to lose sealing. By that I mean, it looks like the lens elements move far enough foward to theoretically let dust in the back into the lens. A gap opens up between the screw mount and the rear lens element. I'll try to post pictures by Sunday to clarify if you guys aren't sure what I'm talking about. When attached to the camera, of course no dust could get there because the lens is sealed against the camera. So the only way dust could get in the back is if there was dust inside the camera.

It looks like it's probably just how the lens works. Nothings is loose, the optics are beautiful, and it doesn't look like any parts are missing at all. I'd just like to know for sure that this is not a problem before I leave 5 star positive feedback for the ebay seller. I'm pretty convinced that there is no problem at all here, but reassurance would be welcomed.

08-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_the_Artist Quote
Well, I got my auto-Takumar in the mail today and it's beautiful. I can get the manual setting to function just fine. There is no dust on any inside lens surface. I just love the feel of old lenes.

But I have one question about it. When focusing, both lens elements move simultaneously (I know old lenses do this). When I'm focused to infinity, everything looks fine, but when I'm focused to the other extreme, the lens appears to lose sealing. By that I mean, it looks like the lens elements move far enough foward to theoretically let dust in the back into the lens. A gap opens up between the screw mount and the rear lens element. I'll try to post pictures by Sunday to clarify if you guys aren't sure what I'm talking about. When attached to the camera, of course no dust could get there because the lens is sealed against the camera. So the only way dust could get in the back is if there was dust inside the camera.

It looks like it's probably just how the lens works. Nothings is loose, the optics are beautiful, and it doesn't look like any parts are missing at all. I'd just like to know for sure that this is not a problem before I leave 5 star positive feedback for the ebay seller. I'm pretty convinced that there is no problem at all here, but reassurance would be welcomed.
The "opening up" in the back with close focus is the norm for most lenses. No need to worry.

Steve
08-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
Damn Brit

You got a bargain.
08-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think I did, and I'm thrilled.

Thanks guys