Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k20d HDR Photography

Hi.

Can someone please explain how to shoot HDR images with k20d.

08-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I don't think the K20D is capable of it. What you can do though, is use exposure bracketing, which shoots 3 or 5 of pictures at different exposures. In my camera i just go to the shooting mode menu, and at the end is an option for bracketing. You can change the exposure steps between the shots and the amount of shots. When you have the shots, you create the HDR image on a PC using any of the available software (Photomatix, DPHDR, Photoshop plugins, etc...) I do believe there is an "HDR-like" in-camera post processing option, which takes the picture you select and processes it to look somewhat like a real HDR image.
Finally, be sure to use a tripod, or hold very still, otherwise you'll have a very frustrating time aligning the pictures. So... good luck, I hope this helps a little!!
08-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
"The Pentax K20D and the Pentax K200D both use a new metering system which allows their CMOS sensors to take simultaneous readings of both highlight and shadow areas.

The user then simply needs to access the camera's HDR mode through the menu dial, set the camera up for the first shot, press the shutter, and off it goes. The internal sensors will then take three shots and combine them into a single HDR image."

(A short article on Pentax K20D/K200D HDR. - ClubSNAP Photography Forums)

From this article it seems like k20d can create a hdr image without post prossesing, but i cant figure out how
08-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think this is refering to the jpeg processing. If you shoot in jpeg, you can go to the on camera processing menu and select between image types such as soft, illustration and HDR.

Also that article is wrong. It refers to an article from jan 2008 which was written before the actual camera was released. It refers to the k200d as having a cmos sensor, which it doesn't have.

08-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
But why does it say three shots ?
08-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by husey Quote
But why does it say three shots ?
Enoeske is correct, they are mistaken if they claim either does HDR.
08-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The only camera in the world which is capable of producing an HDR image right out of the camera is the K-7. You can use "expanded dynamic range" on the K20D, but that is not HDR. Also, you can bracket 3 or 5 shots and then process them using a software such as Photomatix or Dynamic Photo HDR (my favorite) in order to achieve an HDR final product. Furthermore, you can tone map those results and achieve what most people think of when they refer to a HDR photograph, which is actually an HDR shot which has been tone mapped.

To get the ball rolling, using your K20D...push the bracketing button while using your front dial to choose either 3 or 5 bracketed shots, aim....hold steady throughout (or use a tripod) and let it fire. My suggestion, keep in a selected ISO, not auto, and then set to AV and select your sharpest aperture to lens setting...maybe around 8 is a good place to begin. Take the 3 or 5 shots and download into either mentioned software (both have free versions) and voila!

Have fun!

Jason

08-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the JPeG filters on the K20 produces an HDR like effect, but it definitely isn't HDR. The best thing to do is to do what others have said and take several exposures and combine them using one of the software programs.
08-04-2009, 01:47 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Flacosaurio Quote
... Finally, be sure to use a tripod, or hold very still, otherwise you'll have a very frustrating time aligning the pictures. So... good luck, I hope this helps a little!!
I have been shooting bursts of high contrast subjects hand-held and tripod-mounted for quite some time with K10.
The K20 is much easier to use in this mode as it will make the set of exposures automatically and is a little easier to make a set that will match cleanly. Photomatix and CS3 and 4 have no difficulty in merging the images.
If your computer is not quite up to the job it could take longer.
08-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The only camera in the world which is capable of producing an HDR image right out of the camera is the K-7.
Uh, actually, the K-7 produces 8-bit JPEGs from its "HDR" process. Really, it is just a fancier version of "multi-exposure with auto EV" on the K20D. The fancy part is that the tonemapping is stunning!

Great advice below:
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
To get the ball rolling, using your K20D...push the bracketing button while using your front dial to choose either 3 or 5 bracketed shots, aim....hold steady throughout (or use a tripod) and let it fire. My suggestion, keep in a selected ISO, not auto, and then set to AV and select your sharpest aperture to lens setting...maybe around 8 is a good place to begin. Take the 3 or 5 shots and download into either mentioned software (both have free versions) and voila!
Tonemapping the HDRs is the tough part, but also the creative part.
07-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in camera HDR is not a true HDR. you need more than one exposure to create an ACTUAL HDR.
0 -1 +1 exposures (3) blended into 1 shot. the K20D has been called by some as the BEST HDR rig on the market - even though it doesnt do them in camera.