Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

m42 to K moutn adapter

PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)

This is from the Pentax website, are these as good as the old ones? If so, people need to know they are overpaying on ebay when the price goes over $31. I've seen these adapters go for $50. If the old one's aren't better, this is rediculous and new Pentax users need to know! Anybody?

Should I be looking for an old one for $40+ or should I just go get this one for $31?

Last edited by Scott_the_Artist; 08-01-2009 at 12:02 PM.
08-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Overpaying on eBay

... is nothing new. I see it all the time. People are stupid, sometimes. They get caught up in the "competition" and it stops being about the item in question, but rather about "winning" the auction.

I have a 1970 MGB (a British sports car). I once saw a leather shift knob with the MG logon in it got for more than $30, when you can buy the reproduction from Moss Motors for less than $10. What made it truly stupid, was that in the photo of the knob in the auction listing, the Moss label was clearly visible. Sometimes, original items from the period the car was made, go for huge amounts, but this was clearly a reproduction.

There's a seller that regularly lists Spotmatics for $450-500. Granted, they're in very nice shape, but you can all the Spotties you want for $50 or less. Somebody must be buying those $500 cameras, because they always have hundreds of listings going at once.
08-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Igilligan

That is the ticket... the original... the one to be seen with...

The only reason to buy on ebay is if you are in a hurry and the Pentax store is out of stock.
08-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
That is the ticket... the original... the one to be seen with...

The only reason to buy on ebay is if you are in a hurry and the Pentax store is out of stock.
..or if you want to bid low.
The only thing is if you stay put on a low bid, as you said, some stupid guy will overbid just to outbid you!
That is why I just look for the low bids and then place the bid that's the highest I will go and leave it at that.
With the Pentax-A 50mm 1.7, it sometimes go to a ridiculously high price.
I just put in $35 and if other bidders want to go over that, then they deserve the lens!
I know there are still lots more of that lens out there and once the high bidders have gotten their share, it's my (stingy) time next!

08-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Igilligan

Well that is my theory on lens bidding too

Decide what I will pay and bid that much, if it happens great if not another will come along.

But for the original adaptor... It is just easier to get it from pentax when they are in stock. You will probably not save that much even if you get one from ebay.
And there are those that look very similar to the original in the photos and when you get it... it is a knock-off and the seller did not even know.

I say when it comes to the M42 to K mount adaptor... Get it at pentax
08-03-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Are you sure you want M42 to K and not M42 to KA?

Mickey
08-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
m42 to K vs. m42 to KA

I wasn't aware that there were different K mount systems. What's the difference between K and KA?
08-03-2009, 03:58 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
~67$ in Romania

31$ sounds like a fair deal. The official Pentax importer in Romania sells these for 200 RON (~67 US Dollars). More than double.
I'm still hunting for a used one. They go for about 20$ here but they're hard to find...

08-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doing some research in the past, I found that BOWER was contracted by Pentax to make the M42 to K adaptor. If Bower is stamped on the ring, it's the same as the original Pentax; I just picked one up on Ebay for 16.00 USD, brand new!
08-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_the_Artist Quote
I wasn't aware that there were different K mount systems. What's the difference between K and KA?
there is no difference concerning mounting m42 lenses. and there is no such thing as an m42 to KA adapter. the differences between K and KA is the electrical contacts for communicating lens information. the mount is the same. K and M series cameras are K. such as the K1000 or ME Super. an A series camera such as the Super Program is KA. all pentax digitals have KAF2. none of these types actually change the mount in any way concerning the mounting of an adapter.

Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features
K-Mount Evolution, Features and Operation
08-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jax_zee Quote
Doing some research in the past, I found that BOWER was contracted by Pentax to make the M42 to K adaptor. If Bower is stamped on the ring, it's the same as the original Pentax; I just picked one up on Ebay for 16.00 USD, brand new!
have a link that can shed light on that? I know the bower is the closest to the original but everyone I know that has used it says its not exactly the same. besides that, all the Pentax Mount adapter K's or B's if its an older one are made in Japan. Bower is an American company as far as I know. so why would exporting of manufacture go to an American company, who then exported work back to Japan? because I have never seen a single Pentax mount adapter that wasn't stamped 'Japan'.
08-03-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
there is no difference concerning mounting m42 lenses. and there is no such thing as an m42 to KA adapter. the differences between K and KA is the electrical contacts for communicating lens information. the mount is the same. K and M series cameras are K. such as the K1000 or ME Super. an A series camera such as the Super Program is KA. all pentax digitals have KAF2. none of these types actually change the mount in any way concerning the mounting of an adapter.

Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features
K-Mount Evolution, Features and Operation
Exactly true, There's no such thing as an M42 to KA adapter. They are all K mount. Since the old lens has no electrical contacts, the adapter is only K mount.

As for the Bower I am very surprised to hear that. I bought one from Henry's while in Toronto. It was too tight to get off easily. They exchanged it for another that works better. I've since bought 2 more Pentax originals and they are much better machined. If Bower has the original specs, they don't use them.
08-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yip, go for the original Pentax one if possible. Considering what the ability to use M42 lenses will save you on new glass, it's worth whatever the original costs. Also, some of the third-party adaptors have a protruding flange that can lead to problems focusing to infinity.
08-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
Forum Member

Just did some additional research...I retract my statement. Found that the Bower adapter, though physically the same has a weak lock spring which can cause the ring to lock onto the camera body! Pentax USA has always been out of stock when I tried to purchase the real thing; that's why I went Bower. GO FOR ORIGINAL ONLY!
08-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Get the original

I bought a third party adapter from the LCS. It locked on to my k20d and could not be removed easily. In fact, I took it back, camera and all, to the LCS to have it removed by a technician. I strongly recommend that you buy the original adapter.