Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
M vrs. SM lenses in AV mode (K200D)

I'd like to make sure I've got this right.
I can use K-mount "M" lenses only in full aperture with the digital bodies, regardless of the setting on the lens. (the aperture appears to be closing, but only after the exposure is made.)
On the other hand, I can use the screw mounts at any aperture, as long as the lens is switched off "auto," because, to the camera, whatever the diameter the iris is at that moment -- is the maximum.
Charles

08-02-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You can use M or K mounts in A or Manual mode on K200.
In M mode the lever closing the aperture will move during exposure. Press Green button to meter previously to actually exposing.
in A the lever doesn't move, exposure is taken at max aperture. And camera is automatically adjusting the shutter speed. Sometimes, you need to compensate the EV for correct exposure.
with M42, you can use the manual/auto switch on the lens to close/open the aperture to the set value. They work ok in A mode on camera, with correction of the EV.
I personally tend to use K/M/M42 lenses in M mode, since I use the green button, which gives a better rate of correct exposure.
08-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

What Octav said is true - use M mode.
I used to use green button until recently too - use green button, and, if aperture was f/8 or smaller, dial the shutter speed faster by a couple of clicks (I didn't really try to figure out how many stops were needed for a good exposure - just a "couple")
Then, a couplea days ago, I tried another method - I set my EV steps at 1/2 EV (it's default, but I had 1/3 EV before... Never needed that precision), so that every click on the wheel matches one click on the aperture ring. Then meter wide open (or at the aperture you find to be most accurate for metering), and when turning aperture to the one you want, turn the shutter speed dial the same number of clicks. If the lens does not have half-stop indents, then turn the shutter speed dial twice the time you click the aperture ring. Hope it's not too confusing...
I kinda feel my "new" method to be more rewarding - the exposure turns out to be close to perfect every time; maybe it's psychological effect or something...

Bo.
08-02-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
What Octav said is true - use M mode.
I used to use green button until recently too - use green button, and, if aperture was f/8 or smaller, dial the shutter speed faster by a couple of clicks (I didn't really try to figure out how many stops were needed for a good exposure - just a "couple")
Then, a couplea days ago, I tried another method - I set my EV steps at 1/2 EV (it's default, but I had 1/3 EV before... Never needed that precision), so that every click on the wheel matches one click on the aperture ring. Then meter wide open (or at the aperture you find to be most accurate for metering), and when turning aperture to the one you want, turn the shutter speed dial the same number of clicks. If the lens does not have half-stop indents, then turn the shutter speed dial twice the time you click the aperture ring. Hope it's not too confusing...
I kinda feel my "new" method to be more rewarding - the exposure turns out to be close to perfect every time; maybe it's psychological effect or something...

Bo.
Bo, I use (on my K10 - same system on K20) the optical depth of field preview more than anything else to set my manual exposures with the two M lenses. I have gotten quite handy with the index finger on the on/off/dof switch and my longest (impolite) finger on the e-dial for shutter speed.

The preview method brings up an aperture scale and shows how much over/under the metered value you are. You must be in optical preview, not digital, but I prefer that so it is no trouble to me.

08-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I've found that with the 50mm 1.4 M that when metering with the green button in manual, there is no change between 1.4 and 2.0. However when get down to 2.8 or 4.0 reciprocity tends to hold, so perhaps I should start in that range, even if I intend to shoot wide open.
Also, I've found that the aperture is stopped down mechanically in auto, but it apparently is actuated after the exposure is made. I'd assumed (hoped) that the camera would meter with the mirror up, such as in the OM-2.
Charles