Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #16
Forum Member

I have a have a Lowepro Fastpack 250.

It is not too bulky.
The extraction system of the dslr is very comfortable.
It's very sturdy and keeps in it a 15'' notebook.

You can found here a video:
YouTube - Lowepro Fastpack

08-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #17
iht
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
You can switch the orientation of the padding and allow access to lenses even when only opening the side.
Thanks for tip Andy! There you go...not such a con after all.
08-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
I still don't have my bag yet. I'd like to have a bag that will carry my 13" macbook as well.
I'm looking at Lowepro 250 fastpack and Kata DR 467.
But I've also found these knock off brands like Cuscus that are a whole lot cheaper. Any thoughts on knock off brands? Are they lower quality build or what? Does anyone have any experience with any imitation brands?
08-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #19

Huh

I have a Quantaray nansu pro sling, which I love. It was $45 at Wolf Camera, which I'm sure means that you can buy it cheaper elsewhere. I got the non-laptop version, but they did have a laptop option that looked plenty big enough for a macbook. I have a similar run of equipment to what you have, and I fit it all in there plus filter cases. It has a large zip pocket at the top for carrying cash, books, film, whatever. It has a smaller zip pocket at the front that has a small hole to let out the ear buds for the nano, fits cigarettes and keys, wallet etc etc. I'm a hiker/caver, and this bag is a god send for that. It has a water resistant lining, but I did a just in case and got some waterproofing spray at the store. You can buy that for ten bucks at an EMS or camping store. It is intended for tents and shoes, so it's pretty tough. This seems to have adequate padding for falling, and I've definitely snagged it on some low level rock formation with minimal damage. It has the man purse strap with the added bonus: It is a velcro and snap catch, so it is very simple to take off but still stable and sturdy for heavier equipment.

08-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nansu?

I looked for the camera bag you're talking about, but I can't find a Quantaray sling bag anywhere. Is Nansu spelled correctly? I can't find anything about it. Your bag sounds great. I just wish I could find it online.
08-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I really like my lowepro fastpack 250. It holds my camera w/ lens attached. 4-5 other lenes. currently I have 3 lenses, a flash, and lens hood in the pockets. I use the top to hold my jacket, camera rain sleeve, and laptop cables when I need to bring along my laptop.
08-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #22

My bad! Filling in blanks with my own invention. Naneu pro is the name of the company that makes them. I just had a peek at their website naneupro.com and the Military Ops echo is my bag. It looked like they had several other options for single sling style bags with laptops. I can't say as to their prices, although logically less than after they've been branded with the quantaray logo. Hope this helps!

08-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
I just bought a Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW a few weeks ago. It's a single-strap sling bag. It allows you to quickly swivel the bag to the front to get your camera out, which is a nice feature. The downside is you can't get to the lens holding section quickly, which means for lens changes you'll have to put down the bag. I think there are videos on their website.

The padding looks strong, and the compartments are configurable, which is handy. It'll hold a 135mm Tak just fine, but not anything much longer than maybe a 200mm prime.

The material is supposed to be water proof, and additionally there is an expandable rain cover. I haven't had to test the weather proofing feature yet.

Otherwise, the bag will hold everything you describe without a problem. It won't allow you to store other things like a tripod, or water bottles and sandwiches and so on.

I don't have the experience of the other guys here, but IMHO I really like this bag. It's just the right size for me - not too big, but enough to hold what I need to take. It's comfortable and convenient.

Getting a bag is a very personal thing, so I guess you'll just have to go to a shop and try it.

Yes I concur, I find the Lowepro AW200 Sling an excellent camera bag.
08-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I bought the Lowepro 200 Sling - used it for a year for every day carry

plus: fitted all gear for a particular gig, compact, easy access,
minus: had no where for the laptop, bit tight for K20+vert. grip, became heavy on one shoulder

Then bought the Naneu Pro K2L and used that for a year for every day carry
plus: Fitted heaps of gear plus laptop and bigger lunch, tripod holder, water bottle holder, waterproof cover, heaps of webbing and padding so very comfortable
minus: Not aircraft carry-on compliant (too thick), too big for minimal gear, take off to access gear, gear falls out if you forget to zip it up (duh)

In July I bought a shoulder bag/Satchel from Country Road. It has an olive green canvas outer material and smoother cotton lining. Interesting feature is that it has a separate satchel that fits a 15" laptop and other gear that can be placed inside the main bag. With this pouch with laptop in the bag the K20D and a couple of small lenses (28mm 50mm and 105mm) still fit - first thing I checked. And it is still aircraft carry on compliant.
plus: Heaps of pockets, understated looks, main pouch 350mm long 220mmhigh 120mmwide, no velcro closures, room for pens, cards, ipod, notepad
Minus: gear moves about a bit so I use a pouch for each lens

I am now happy, Big excursions on foot with a stack of gear- K2L - small gigs outdoors with quick changes needed - 200 Sling, every other day - Country Road.

Side observation, my dad used an Army surplus canvas shoulder bag for his spottie and three prime Super Takumar system. I wondered why he never used a proper camera bag - now I see why and I like his system for normal daily use but have a bit of flexibility for laptop and mobile phone etc.
08-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_the_Artist Quote
I also don't know much about types of bags, but I think I would prefer a backpack or sling type bag.
If you want a quick access feature than the beauty of the Kata 3N1 bags is that you can use them in quick access (sling) mode or as a regular backpack. Pure sling bags like the Lowepro 200 AW can become a burden for your shoulder after a while.

The one disadvantage I see with the Kata 3N1 models is that they don't take laptops.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I have a Lowepro Fastpac 250.
But this bag isn't weatherproof as the OP required, or is it? I wish it were because it seems to be very nice in every other aspect.

BTW, someone compared the Kata 467 vs. LowePro Fastpack 250.
08-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
There's a deal on Amazon right now that's got my attention. It's a Kata 467 with a monfrotto 790 monopod (pretty much thrown in for free). The bag with the monopod and shipping is $90. I read reviews about the monopod and it's not the best. Camera bags are all overpriced, but the monopod makes me feel like it makes this one less overpriced. Should I let that monopod sway me like this?
08-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Wow that is one very nice deal. The backpack alone is just shy of 80 bucks when I bought it, but for 10 extra bucks to get that free Manfrotto monopod, that must be a very good deal breaker. That monopod is 32 bucks, so it'll bassically be a 20 dollar discount for it.

Last edited by LeDave; 08-13-2009 at 06:08 AM.
08-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_the_Artist Quote
There's a deal on Amazon right now that's got my attention. It's a Kata 467 with a monfrotto 790 monopod (pretty much thrown in for free). The bag with the monopod and shipping is $90.
That's an amazing deal for my favourite bag. But I think it's worth the $90 on its own, and in fact paid more than that myself. It is not overpriced for the padding and design.
08-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #29
Inactive Account

I actually find that I use a variety of bags, depending on where I'm going and what I'm shooting.

I just recently picked up a Domke F-2 Ruggedwear, and it's an awesome "everyday" bag, when I just want my camera, a few lenses, and a couple of accessories with me. When I'm going away for the weekend and want more gear, I use the Tamrac Expedition 4x, when I want to bring my camera skiing I use the Lowepro Slingshot 100AW, and traveling real light, I just use the Pentax SLR Holster Bag. If I was a woman I'd probably have a thousand purses, so photography is at least a legitimate excuse to have a lot of bags.
08-13-2009, 07:30 AM   #30
Inactive Account

I just bought this.... Case Logic Medium SLR Camera Bag > Camera Cases > Travel Accessories - eBags

for my K100D, kit lense, plus my Sigma 70-300, two sets (8AA) of eneloops batteries, lense cleaning cloth, very small sd card usb reader (incase I want to use it out of the camera on the road - like at a walgreens to print something out).

I don't have another other lenses but have some small crumpler cases I could add on as needed to the strap... if when I get some more.

I opted for a smaller case than a big one..but I'm a woman who always has a purse as a backup!