Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

Camera bag suggestions?

I don't have a camera bag and I haven't the slightest clue about brands or pretty much anything camera bag related. All I know is that I like the idea of having a weatherproof bag and although it might be asking WAY too much out of a camera bag or a camera...I do ride my bike quite a bit, so a bag that would protect my camera (heaven forbid) in a fall would be a great plus.

Here's the equipment I have that I'd like the bag to hold:

Pentax K20d
DA 18-45mm AL II kit lens
Super-Takumar 28mm 3.5
Auto-Takumar 55mm 1.8
Super-Takumar 135mm 3.5

I also don't know much about types of bags, but I think I would prefer a backpack or sling type bag.

08-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just recently ordered a black Kata 467 off Amazon for just under 80 bucks with free shipping. It should be coming within a couple of days. It's not waterproof but it comes with a water resistant cover that covers your entire bag when you need it. It's design is based off military special ops style, quick access, efficency, and reliability. This bag is neat, people might think you're carrying weapon gear when you're carrying this XD

Here's a picture of it I found on google, it's not me lol.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2223/2271341538_7dd640c554.jpg

Here's a post showing all of this dude's gear in the Kata 467, it's a Cannon forum but it shows how it fits a lot of gear.
Canon Digital Photography Forums - View Single Post - Kata DPS DR-467 First thoughts / review
Here's a youtube video of it.
YouTube - DSLR camera backpack bag Kata DR-467

Last edited by LeDave; 08-02-2009 at 12:20 AM.
08-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Lowepro Fastpac 250. Bottom half would fit your gear I think, top half you can then put a jacket or whatever in.

It's a 2 strap backpack, but slip off the right strap and swing the bag around for side entry into the camera part. Also fits a laptop, but the 200 is the same without the laptop bit I think.

Suits me.

I spent about an hour in the shop trying them out with my gear, they were happy to leave me alone doing it.
08-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #4

Type/style is personal preference. I found my perfect fit with Crumpler's 5 Million Dollar Home for walk-around, and the 6-Million Dollar Home for traveling with all my gear.

The Crumpler Website has many options ... from the 1 Million Dollar Home to the 8 Million Dollar Home.

Happy Shopping!

08-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #5

I got this bag for the GF, it holds a K200, Kit lens, sigma 28-200, and a couple of primes with space in the top for purse and spare batteries etc...
It is a sling bag, but also has a waist strap (that she never uses) that is good for on a bike.
Attached Images

08-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Here's a vote for the Crumpler 6 million dollar bag. I carried it all day in DC on the 4th and it was great. I had a iST DL, FA 50 f1.7, Sigma 24 - 105 f2.8-4, and the kit lens.
08-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
These all look pretty servicable, does anyone have experience with the Kata 3 in 1? It looks like it might be small-ish and I'm on a budget ($74 seems like a lot). I mean, if that's what I have to spend on a bag, then it's what I have to spend and I'll do it. But one of the reason's I'm a Pentax guy in the first place is bang for buck and I'd like a bag to exemplify that characteristic as much as the camera and prime lenses I recently purchased.

I'll have to look into that million dollar thing as soon as I get done with the paper for this Rosiland Krauss article (driving me nuts).

08-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have the Kata 3n1-20 (the medium size) and am very very happy with it. For your listed gear the 3n1-10 should be a good match I would think.

In my opinion all camera bags are over priced but I am at least happy with the level of quality I have found in the Kata, Tenba and ApeCase bags I've paid through the nose for.
08-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'll echo Lori with the Crumpler series. The newer models have even better clips. Wear ear plugs, the Velcro is deafening , but very secure.
08-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Here's a thread you might want to look at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/52929-how-do-you-pack-y...es-please.html
The thread is informative as they have pictures of the bags and how it is packed with the equipment.
Hope this helps.
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I just recently ordered a black Kata 467 off Amazon for just under 80 bucks with free shipping. It should be coming within a couple of days. It's not waterproof but it comes with a water resistant cover that covers your entire bag when you need it. It's design is based off military special ops style, quick access, efficency, and reliability.
Hilarious. Of all the thousands of bags out there, each of which I checked online and in person whenever possible, having read hundreds of posts and reviews over many months, I chose the same one as the first reply to this post!

I just bought it in Canada where Pentax markets it under their name with a big red maple leaf... yaay!

Major benefit: it's the largest bag that will fit as carry-on luggage with any airline.

Plus:
  • it is relatively comfortable
  • it fits a laptop
  • it has enough room for rain gear, lunch, etc.
  • it is well-padded
  • it fits as much gear as it can, but no more (a larger bag could not travel with me)
  • it has a bright yellow interior so you cannot lose anything inside
  • it does not have too many interior flaps and pockets to ruin all the space, but it has enough to be useful
  • it has two adjustable straps
  • build quality is as good as you'd expect unless you pay double or triple

I have a Crumpler shoulder bag, regular backpack, man bag etc. but this is the best.
08-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P.S. I have never found a Lowepro I liked. And I've seen them all.
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've got what they call the Crumpler 750 (Sevenfifty) Daily XXL, quite easy de-badged, had it since last May (defected from Lowe Pro after 25 years), used every day and it's working just great.

Huge, carries two bodies with fast (therefore biggish) lenses still attached, plus four other lenses. The only problem I have with it, is getting it off the floor when you carry this much kit about with you.

I should mention that it has the loudest velcro on the planet, nobody gets in there without me knowing it.
08-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
iht
Veteran Member

I just bought a Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW a few weeks ago. It's a single-strap sling bag. It allows you to quickly swivel the bag to the front to get your camera out, which is a nice feature. The downside is you can't get to the lens holding section quickly, which means for lens changes you'll have to put down the bag. I think there are videos on their website.

The padding looks strong, and the compartments are configurable, which is handy. It'll hold a 135mm Tak just fine, but not anything much longer than maybe a 200mm prime.

The material is supposed to be water proof, and additionally there is an expandable rain cover. I haven't had to test the weather proofing feature yet.

Otherwise, the bag will hold everything you describe without a problem. It won't allow you to store other things like a tripod, or water bottles and sandwiches and so on.

I don't have the experience of the other guys here, but IMHO I really like this bag. It's just the right size for me - not too big, but enough to hold what I need to take. It's comfortable and convenient.

Getting a bag is a very personal thing, so I guess you'll just have to go to a shop and try it.

Last edited by iht; 08-04-2009 at 11:18 PM.
08-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
I just bought a Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW a few weeks ago. It's a single-strap sling bag. It allows you to quickly swivel the bag to the front to get your camera out, which is a nice feature. The downside is you can't get to the lens holding section quickly, which means for lens changes you'll have to put down the bag. I think there are videos on their website.
You can switch the orientation of the padding and allow access to lenses even when only opening the side.