Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #1

Filter Questions

1. Why is the Kenko Pro1 Protective lens more expensive than their MC UV filter; what are the key differences?
2. Which is the better buy when the UV is roughly 17USD and the Pro1 is 30USD?
3. For my Sigma 105mm F2.8 Macro is there anyway to cap the Hood so I don't need to unscrew and recap? Or is this a bad idea.

08-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
clm

The Sigma hood has 77mm filter threads. I don't bother with it, though. Instead I use a 58-49mm step down ring from eBay to match the filter size of my other lenses.
08-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pro1 series filters add very little optical quality to the multicoated profile of filters, their price tags misleading many to think they're significantly superior. Where they differ is in glass and frame thickness - the slimmer design claimed to avoid vignetting on those ultra-wide lenses and limit more flare/optical degradation due to light having to pass through less glass. Mostly gimmick.

If you're going to get a filter to protect the lens, just get the best multicoated one you can find, similar to the Hiya Super HMC series - though I don't have a filter for my 100/2.8 macro - the glass is deeply set within the lens barrel enough not to have to worry about scratching it.
08-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks a bunch!

So is it safe more me to just shoot the sigma with the hood. And leave a cap off? or could i get a 77mm lens cap?

08-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #5

Why would you want to add another 2 air to glass surfaces in your image path? Perhaps to protect the lens but as you surmise the pens hood provides fair protection.