Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Filter size for SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2?

Realizing that there are many pros and cons about filters, as a noob I want a filter on my M 50mm F2 (for now). How do I find out what size to buy? Is it written somewhere on the lens? Thanks in advance.

08-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It takes a 49mm filter , but you don't need one.

There are arguments for and against filters for protective use. I wont use one because I don't want to to degrade the light going into my lens.

But with the M 50mm 2.0, you will pay more for a decent filter than the lens costs !

One thing you should get is a lens hood. Not only will it stop any nasty flare that the older lenses are more prone to, but it will protect the front element too.

So my advice is forget the filter and get a hood.

The M 50 2.0 is a very nice lens btw. Underated because it is a "slow 50" , but a very good performer.
08-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agreed. Get a metal lens hood and forget the filter. And remember you can use a deeper "tele" hood on a 50mm, due to the 75mm FOV on Pentax DSLRs.
08-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the input

A lens hood would work fine for my purpose, which is to keep my fingers away from the lens. I'm learning the controls of the k20d and I have a tendency to forget where I should and where I shouldn't hold the camera. Thanks from the noob

08-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenhreed Quote
Realizing that there are many pros and cons about filters, as a noob I want a filter on my M 50mm F2 (for now). How do I find out what size to buy? Is it written somewhere on the lens? Thanks in advance.
I don't know if it is engraved on that particular lense (some are, some aren't). The standard practice is to use a greek letter (Phi???), which looks like a zero with a vertical line through it. I don't know how to make it on the computer, but if it is there, it is easily recognizable and is following by the filter diameter.