Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #1

K Mount?

HI Guys,
I have been looking up ebay and gum tree for an older prime. Some of them say that the lens has a K-mount. I have a K200
Will the K-Mount work with the K200 as is or do I need an adaptor for it? These are manual focus lenses so I know the autofocus will not work with them
Any thoughts?

KP

08-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Damn Brit

There are a couple of third party brands I believe that need modifying because they were designed for film cameras and there is less clearance in a digital camera. If you get Pentax lenses in K mount, there will be no problem.
08-02-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
HI Guys,
I have been looking up ebay and gum tree for an older prime. Some of them say that the lens has a K-mount. I have a K200
Will the K-Mount work with the K200 as is or do I need an adaptor for it? These are manual focus lenses so I know the autofocus will not work with them
Any thoughts?

KP
All bayonet K-mount lenses should work on the K200D ( at least the Pentax ones will fit perfectly).

The older M42 screw mount lenses are the ones you will need an adapter for.
08-03-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
Forum Member

K mount vs. m42

It sure seems wierd that they'd change from screw mount to a K mount. What's the rationale behind that? Are there any advantages a K mount has over a screw mount?
(I'm talking about way back when, in the late 60's or whenever it was that they changed mounting systems)

Scott

Last edited by Scott_the_Artist; 08-03-2009 at 02:07 AM. Reason: clarification
08-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #5

Well.I suppose a bayonet is quicker to mount and dismount plus with the advent of electric contacts with a screw mount they would wear out pretty quickly. Oh Yeah..and everyone else was doing it
08-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_the_Artist Quote
It sure seems wierd that they'd change from screw mount to a K mount. What's the rationale behind that? Are there any advantages a K mount has over a screw mount?
(I'm talking about way back when, in the late 60's or whenever it was that they changed mounting systems)

Scott
Every other company had by that time switched to a Bayonet mount. Not only was it quicker for lens changing, but kept the lens in exactly the same position each time, offering better & more consistent adaptation & registration for the newly developing lens contacts required or more flexible metering options.
08-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ricoh lenses

In its later years, Ricoh used a slight variant of the k-mount. The lenses are mostly interchangeable, with a little caution.

Some of the Ricoh lenses have an extra pin that can get hung up in the Pentax AF screw drive. If this happens, either the lens or the camera must be partially dismantled. Search for "Ricoh pin".

I'm not an expert, but apparently there are two types of Ricoh pin. One is a spring loaded ball-bearing type, which does not cause a problem. The other is a straight steel pin that DOES get caught.

So, be careful of any Ricoh branded lens, or any lens that claims to be a PK-R or P/K/R mount. There are several posts that explain how to remove the dreaded Ricoh pin, to make it safe to use on a Pentax camera.

08-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_the_Artist Quote

Scott
"Way back when..." when I was a boy...

Actually, it was when I was about 13 years old that I asked a photographer friend the bayonet vs. screw question. The answer?

Advantages to bayonet:
  • Quick and easy

Disadvantages to bayonet:
  • Potential for laxness in the mount with age. The breech-lock variants (Canon and others) were designed to address this issue.
  • Often proprietary...might limit third-party lens options

Advantages to screw mount:
  • Does not loosen with age
  • Non-proprietary
  • Uses more accurate stop-down metering

Disadvantages to screw mount:
  • Cross-threading (yes...it can happen)
  • Slow to mount
  • Required stop-down metering (at the time)

So...There is the old guy's explanation.

Steve
08-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote

So, be careful of any Ricoh branded lens...
Whoa! Yes, take care, but be aware that of the hundreds of Ricoh lens models out there, the only ones with the infamous pin are those with a green "P" on the aperture ring. If a Rikenon, the lens face will also be marked as Rikenon-P.

Rikenon = OK
Auto-Rikenon = OK
XR Rikenon = OK

Rikenon P = NOT OK (in general...some have the ball-type pin...)

Even beyond the lens marking, detecting the hazardous mount is easy. If it is not a Pentax-brand lens, simply look/feel for any spring-loaded protrusion (the pin) that might drop into the AF drive slot. No pin...no problem.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-06-2009 at 01:44 PM.
08-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
There are a couple of third party brands I believe that need modifying because they were designed for film cameras and there is less clearance in a digital camera. If you get Pentax lenses in K mount, there will be no problem.
This is true. Some Vivitars and a few others have a raised flange that must be shaved/cut down.

Steve
08-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
This is true. Some Vivitars and a few others have a raised flange that must be shaved/cut down.

Steve
They actually can be screwed off - much easier than shaving. All of those flanges are held with 3 tiny screws, and taking the flange off doesn't really seem to affect anything - beside mountability
08-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
They actually can be screwed off - much easier than shaving. All of those flanges are held with 3 tiny screws, and taking the flange off doesn't really seem to affect anything - beside mountability
So true. The original purpose was to protect the aperture lever. The height is quite variable between brands with some mounts (PK Adaptall-2 for example) lacking it altogether.
08-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I tried to remove one flange once as I have read it wouldn't pose any problems.
Only thing was the flange was connected to the diaphragm spring.
Good thing the flange wasn't too raised that it didn't actually pose a problem without removal or shaving.
08-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
Forum Member

pk/r is making trouble (some hanimex lenses and some cosinas with it)
08-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Just to clarify one thing that might still not be clear - your DSLR uses K-mount. That's why K-mount lenses don't require an adapter - because that's exactly the right kind of lens. Oh, OK, your DSLR uses a specific variation of K-mount called KAF2 or something like that, but it is still generically referred to as K-mount. But usually if you see a lens sold as K-mount, that means the original K-mount - no auto exposure, no auto focus.