Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rechargeable batteries?

Is it good to use rechargeable battery in a Pentax AF-540 FGZ flash? If so what is the best brand?

08-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PHOTOCOP Quote
Is it good to use rechargeable battery in a Pentax AF-540 FGZ flash? If so what is the best brand?
Sanyo Eneloops!
08-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by PHOTOCOP Quote
I don't know about the best brand but I've been using rechargeables in my flash units since forever. I have 48 (!) low self discharge AA's that I bought from all-battery.com They're relatively inexpensive and I've been satisfied with the performance. I wanted to get eneloops but they were SOOOO much more than the others! I also use Ni-MH rechargeables in the TR-III battery pack (for the 540 flash) and I'm very happy with the performance. I do weddings and events so the fast recycle rate is important.
08-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use eneloop and also panasonic and both work just perfect

08-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

eneloops are excellent... any other similar battery should be just as good
08-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #6

Just a side to this guys, how long should the Eneloops last. Not per charge but thier overall life.
I have some here that are only about a year old and dont seem to last at all.
Also have some Uniross Hybrids that have been fantastic.

Cheers
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eneloops. As others suggested.

08-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzvds Quote
Just a side to this guys, how long should the Eneloops last. Not per charge but thier overall life.

Cheers
I think the overall lifes of any rechargables are much depended on how they have been handled. Don't overcharge or overheat do them good. Personally I use Sanyo Eneloop (sold under Sony label too). Panasonic R2 are good too.
08-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritzvds Quote

Cheers
How often do you recharge your eneloops? I'm scared of recharging mine too much otherwise they might like lose lifespan or something. Not sure if this is true.
08-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Let me be the voice of dissention here. I stopped using NiMH batteries in cameras or flashes. The reason is self-discharge. Just sitting in the case or flash, you will find that NiMH batteries discharge, and when you need your camera (or flash) most, you will find the batteries need a charge. More than once, I reached for my camera that had NiMH batteries in it that were fully charged when I put it in the case, only to find that they were dead, and I missed a shot. The Eneloope batteries are probably the best NiMH technology when it comes to self discharge, but they are not perfect.

I use Energizer lithium (L91s) disposable. They will last 15 years on the shelf without appreciable self discharge. They have a very high energy capacity compared to NiMH. (I have not replaced the batteries in my AF 540FGZ flash since I bought it!) And, they have a very wide temperature operating range. They will even operate down to -20F (We use them in our space flights) , and up to 140F. No other battery technology will even get close to that. You can leave them sit in your hot car, and they will not self discharge. With any other battery, especially NiMH, heat significantly increases the self discharge rate. Another factor that may not be an issue for you, is that they are significantly lighter than NiMH or alkaline batteries (50% lighter than NiMH!). This makes a difference in the weight of the camera when you are using 4 in the flash (or 6 in the K-7 battery grip.)

If you are the type that is a real "flash hound" and you use the flash a lot, and go through batteries quickly, you could use a two-tiered approach: Buy some NiMh AA's and a charger, but keep the lithiums in the flash so it will always be ready. If you are planning a long flash session, you can charge up the NiMH's without waiting to use the flash.

I keep a cheap digital camera as well as a LED flashlight in my glovebox and both have the L91's in it. I know that they will always be ready to use no matter how hot or cold the car gets, or how long they have been sitting there.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 08-04-2009 at 01:38 PM.
08-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
Inactive Account

i use Presidents Choice they are the same type as Eneloop batteries - pre-charged, and will keep 90% and 85% of the original charge after 6 and 12 months (that is what they claim) They work great and they are 12.99 for 4
08-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
How often do you recharge your eneloops? I'm scared of recharging mine too much otherwise they might like lose lifespan or something. Not sure if this is true.
Do not let eneloops completely discharge before recharging them, also do not store them discharged, they will last longer.

Mishandling includes things like dropping them, or putting them in your pocket with your car keys.

@PentaxPoke - Well, if we were talking about standard high capacity NiMh we would be agreeing with you, but we are not and although what you outlined may be your experience and works for you it is just your experience with NiMh and does not directly apply to Low Self Discharge NiMh.
08-04-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ricky bobby Quote
i use Presidents Choice they are the same type as Eneloop batteries - pre-charged, and will keep 90% and 85% of the original charge after 6 and 12 months (that is what they claim) They work great and they are 12.99 for 4
Actually Presidents Choice AA & chargers are Sanyo made too.
08-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
Forum Member

Awesome thread. What kind of chargers does everyone recommend?
08-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I use Eneloops and a LaCrosse BC900 charger.