Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Quantaray - Zoom lens - 28 mm - 90 mm - f/3.5-5.6

Anybody have any experience with this particular lens :
Quantaray - Zoom lens - 28 mm - 90 mm - f/3.5-5.6
It say on the box for Z-MZ-PZ-ZX-MX series????? The little letter designations are driving me crazy, I have a k20d and hope this lens will work on my camera and not screw it up as well, ever since I read the one thread concerning the third party lens locking on to his camera I am really unsure of putting anything other than Pentax on my k20, I bought the lens on e-bay very inexpensive and from what it said was an quantaray lens for Pentax (well thats all I read)
from what other info I found it would seem this is replacing the 28-70mm lens, Just want to make sure I dont screw up my new camera

08-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Forum Member

I own this lens, and it fits fine on my K100D. Other than that, not much to say for it. I got it at Ritz when I bought my camera for $40.

In retrospect, that was too much to pay, since it goes for quite a bit less on ebay.
08-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't worry, it will work just fine on any Pentax SLR camera (film and Digital). Got mine for $15 when Ritz was closing a bunch of stores earlier this year. It can produce some surprising results when used properly.
08-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought one along with a Tokina 28mm F2.8 at the local pawnshop last weekend. Both for 30 bucks which seemed like a deal.

So far I think it's a fine lens and will work fine with your K20D. I believe it is a rebadged sigma if I'm not mistaken. It's not quite as sharp as the kit lens but it's nice to have the macro and does fine stepped down a bit. I'm planning on making it my knockaround lens for bike rides & hikes in questionable conditions.

08-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcool Quote
I have a k20d and hope this lens will work on my camera and not screw it up as well, ever since I read the one thread concerning the third party lens locking on to his camera I am really unsure of putting anything other than Pentax on my k20
It's the lenses with the Ricoh pin that does this.
I have a thread about this before and asked what it was (Ricoh pin) to look for 'coz I was also concerned about a certain lens locking on my DSLR.
Not too many replies but I found the answer myself by googling.
You can find the thread here too and look for "Ricoh pin".
It's also actually a pretty easy fix once you know what to look for and what to do.
08-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My thinking is it is a slightly tweaked sigma 28-80, but that is just an educated guess.
08-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
My thinking is it is a slightly tweaked sigma 28-80, but that is just an educated guess.
I have found out that there is also a sigma 28-90mm macro, but I think he might be talking about the MF rather than the AF variety from how he describes the lens.

08-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry about it fitting or messing up your camera - just about wasting money on a lens that is surely not as good as anything you already own.