Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #1

Samsung/Pentax

Hi guys, I was hoping you might confirm whether or not there are any differences between the Samsung GX10 and Pentax K10D and similar -20 models?

I've been looking into getting an K10D, but if the GX10 is the same body (apart from maybe cosmetic differences) I can expand my horizon a little!

Edit: are the Schneider lenses sold with the Samsung any good?

Thanks for your help,

Brian.

Last edited by Prenderb; 08-04-2009 at 09:39 AM.
08-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Dom

Yes they are basically the same camera.

As for the lenses again they are basically the same as the Pentax.

My brother got a GX-10 on my recommendation and he loves it.
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
iht
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You might want to confirm though to see if the Samsung is compatible with the Pentax firmware. I get the feeling it's not, which means you'll not be able to receive those updates from Pentax.

Last edited by iht; 08-04-2009 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Typo
08-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
You might want to confirm though to see if the Samsung is compatible with the Pentax firmware. I get the feeling it's not, which means you'll not be able to receive those updates from Pentax.
No, the samsung firmware comes slightly later than Pentax's, but eventually it does get updated to the same level

08-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might also want to check out the level of support/repair available in your area for Samsung as opposed to Pentax. But yes, you'll get virtually the same camera for quite a bit less.
08-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prenderb Quote
Hi guys, I was hoping you might confirm whether or not there are any differences between the Samsung GX10 and Pentax K10D and similar -20 models?

I've been looking into getting an K10D, but if the GX10 is the same body (apart from maybe cosmetic differences) I can expand my horizon a little!

Edit: are the Schneider lenses sold with the Samsung any good?

Thanks for your help,

Brian.
What Schneider lenses? They are Pentax design built in Pentax factories with the name Schneider printed on them and identical to the corresponding Pentax lenses, other than some cosmetic differences. Samsung has no lens capacity by themself, and Schneider has not built SLR lenses in ages.
04-23-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi PrenderB - I'd be keen to know what decision you made and are you happy with the camera you went with as I am currently pondering the same question!!

Thanks - Jo

04-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The differences that I can remember are:

= The K10D supports 2 RAW formats: PEF (compressed) and DNG (uncompressed).
While the GX10 only supports the DNG uncompressed format.

= The GX10 user interface looks more modern. Some prefer it over the K10D.

= In some articles Samsung claimed to have put in its own (supposedly better) JPEG algoritm in the GX10

= Samsung needs the Pentax firmware release to update its own versions, so it lags Pentax.

Hope this helps.

- Bert
04-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
What Schneider lenses? They are Pentax design built in Pentax factories with the name Schneider printed on them and identical to the corresponding Pentax lenses, other than some cosmetic differences. Samsung has no lens capacity by themself, and Schneider has not built SLR lenses in ages.
Are you sure about that? The Pentax lenses have the SMC coatings and the Samsung ones don't, so I'm not seeing why they would make them together in a factory like that, I think that Samsung licenses the license from Pentax to Schneider to make the lenses for them.