Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K7 vs K20D

Okay. I have read reviews of both until my head is swimming.

Do you think there is enough difference in the two to warrant spending almost double for the K7?

Thanks.

08-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've seen and felt the K-7 at the K-7 Road Tour, it's definitely worth it. It's a really nice improvement to all of the previous Pentax cameras, I fell in love with the super quiet shutter sound. It seems extremely high-tech, I was overwhelmed when comparing it with my K-m/K2000. But that's only if you are willing to shell out the cash. If you're on a budget then that's a different story.
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by windflower Quote

Do you think there is enough difference in the two to warrant spending almost double for the K7?

Thanks.
unless you don't have the K20D, the K-7 is a logical choice. if you don't have a budget for a K-7, then go for the K20D. problem solved.
08-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
unless you don't have the K20D, the K-7 is a logical choice. if you don't have a budget for a K-7, then go for the K20D. problem solved.
Thanks. I am on a fixed income and also I have some mobility problems. (Right now I am using a walker because I have no knee in my left leg. Hopefully in September, I will get a new knee -- 4th one in 8 years -- and will be able to back to using one or two canes and thus have more mobility. Even so, I am not sure I can justify in my own mind spending around CAN $1600.

I don't have to decide within a certain period of time, so I can continue to mull things over. :-)

08-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are on a fixed income and have limited mobility, a smaller camera like the K2000 maybe a better option. The reality is that it is you and not the camera that decides what kind of photos it will take and while there are more bells and whistles on the upper end cameras, you can make great photos with entry level cameras too.
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have both, and I'd say it depends on your intended use - the advantages of the K-7 for me are:
  • Video (way cool since I don't have another video cam)
  • faster Auto Focus (AF)
  • way better AF in low light (for near subjects especially - people etc, not as big a difference for landscapes since the low light focus assist light doesn't reach the horizon ).
  • faster "Machine gunning" - 5 fps sure is fast, but I don't shoot that way all that often.
  • really nice shutter feel/sound - not worth paying for, but it is an improvement.

If these features won't help you get better photos (ie, if you don't need faster FPS or faster AF), the K20D will IMHO give you equal image quality, and offers great bang for the buck...
08-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Get equipment that suits your needs, this doesn't always need to be the lastest available.

Me, I'd get two K20D's for the price of one K7D

08-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just sold my k20d (waiting payment)

I also have a k200d. so now I will probably get a k7

The video feature just seems great.
Thanks for the statement above heliphoto
08-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can get down to a store that has both, go there and have a test drive of both of them.
You will then know what you value in the camera to warrant spending your money on.
08-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

If you have a nice lens collection and can afford the K7, buy it. Otherwise, get a K20 and the lens of your affordable dreams
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

well the knee....I mean the K20D would be most suited for you considering your dilemma. it's a great cam in it's own right and I believe you can do magic with it as long as you know what you are doing.
08-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by windflower Quote

Thanks.
If the K20 can keep up with what you want to do, then the K-7 probably isn't worth it.
08-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
iht
Veteran Member

The K-7 is also a much lighter camera (in terms of weight, of course!). The K-7 comes in at under 700g, whereas the K20D is over 800g.

Of course the weight comes down to personal preference. As for me, I still own a *ist DS because of its light weight. I wouldn't want to lug around anything too much bigger than that on a long trip.
08-05-2009, 06:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you even need a DSLR? With your mobility challenges, would you be better off with a compact camera, which you can easily hold in one hand? For half the price of a K20 you could get a top-of-the-range compact that will take stunning photos and will conveniently slip into your pocket.
08-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Do you even need a DSLR? With your mobility challenges, would you be better off with a compact camera, which you can easily hold in one hand? For half the price of a K20 you could get a top-of-the-range compact that will take stunning photos and will conveniently slip into your pocket.
Living in Saskatchewan, the OP won't be mobility challenged forever.
Our health care is sometimes a bit slow, but the knee replacement will happen.