Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Next step up from K100D?

I am thinking about "handing down" my K100D camera to my oldest daughter. She is really having fun with it, and it gives me a cheap excuse to upgrade.

I really enjoy the K100D. I am comfortable with the menu's and how to "get around" the camera, and I like the AA batteries since I've got 3 good sets and a La Crosse charger to take care of them.

What would be the next logical step up, bearing in mind I'm looking for a similiar menu setup and staying with the AA batteries.

Thank you.

vmax84

08-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If you want the same set-up but would only want to upgrade, then go with the K200D.
It would be an upgrade from 6mp to 10mp.
It also uses AA batteries on the camera and on the grip (DBG-3) if you want to add the battery grip.
It would also be weathersealed unlike the K100D.
Its the same size as the K100D and has all the same controls as the K100D (probably the same body but upgraded a little).
It would also now have a dedicated RAW button just on top of the MF/AF switch.

If you want to learn more about it then google or go here: Steves Digicams - PENTAX K200D - Hands on Review
08-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Igilligan

I would keep the K100d and upgrade you daughter to the K20, or if you are independently wealthy... the K7 (you can always borrow it from her)

I just yesterday posted a couple of ISO 3200 shots from my old K100 and would put them up against almost any of todays cameras... If it fits you, why do you want to upgrade...

This is coming from a guy with twenty lenses and 6 cameras... so take it with a grain of salt

PS... the battery issue is something I also did not want to change... but after using the K20 battery and buying two backups for 18 dollars... I will never let AA bats be a deciding factor on a camera purchase again. I now use my eneloops for my flash units and my K100....
08-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

..or go with the K100D super for a very small upgrade.
You'll just get the "dust removal" option as the added upgrade.

08-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
..or go with the K100D super for a very small upgrade.
You'll just get the "dust removal" option as the added upgrade.
Don't you also get electrical contacts for SDM motor?
08-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Don't you also get electrical contacts for SDM motor?
Oh yeah, forgot about that one 'coz I don't have any SDM lenses to remind me.
..as GLXR said, support for the SDM lenses that would probably cost more than the camera itself..
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Oh yeah, forgot about that one 'coz I don't have any SDM lenses to remind me.
..as GLXR said, support for the SDM lenses that would probably cost more than the camera itself..
haha yeah like 3 times as much!!!!

08-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you check out the refurbs on BestBuy's web site. They have refurb k200 listed for $379!
08-05-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you check out the refurbs on BestBuy's web site. They have refurb k200 listed for $379!
This would be a very tempting upgrade indeed!
08-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would there be a noticeable difference in image quality, going from the K100D to the K200D? Or, would an improvement come at upgrading my lens first (standard kit lens and cheapo Tamron 75-300 zoom)?

Or, maybe read a bit more and practice more in order to obtain better shots?

vmax84
08-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There is the potential for more improvement from better lenses and from better technique than from simply upgrading a camera. On the other hand, with good technique - including stopping down to a more kit-lens-friendly aperture like f/8 or f/11 - the kit lens is capable of shots you'd have a *very* hard time distinguishing from better lenses. But the kit lens of course can't take pictures at all at f/2.8, much less f/1.7. You'd have to post some particular pictures you are not happy with in order to tell if the main problem is the camera, lens, or technique. But it also shouldn't take too much effort to browse around for other people's pictures using the K100D - say, in the Pentax Photo Gallery and see for yourself that the camera is capable of fantastic results.
08-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #12

Wow, thats a great price. I found my K200 for $567 new with the kit lens

But I always would feel a little iffy buying a refurbished item. I know they are factory fixed and have a warranty, but still.
08-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And I think they had the K100D for $279.........that seems like a good price as well.

vmax84
08-06-2009, 02:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
Would there be a noticeable difference in image quality, going from the K100D to the K200D? Or, would an improvement come at upgrading my lens first (standard kit lens and cheapo Tamron 75-300 zoom)?

Or, maybe read a bit more and practice more in order to obtain better shots?

vmax84
In addition to what Marc said:

My wife has a k100, and I have a k10. Even though on paper the k10 is far superior I feel that the image quality is about even between the two. If anything I'd vote in favor of the k100. The only real benefits of the extra megapixels is maximum print size and cropability, and were not talking about a massive difference. More and more often I find myself reaching for the k100 for personal stuff.
08-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In addition to what Marc said:

My wife has a k100, and I have a k10. Even though on paper the k10 is far superior I feel that the image quality is about even between the two. If anything I'd vote in favor of the k100. The only real benefits of the extra megapixels is maximum print size and cropability, and were not talking about a massive difference. More and more often I find myself reaching for the k100 for personal stuff.

I really should master one before moving onto the next, when it gets right down to it.

Shot this pic this morning........had to be quick with the shot since their security people start getting workeded up.

K100D with kit lens, on tripod, bulb mode and shutter held open for about 8 seconds, aperature "middle of the road" since I don't know where to set it, standard kit lens.

Darn truck came by at the end, but after looking at the pic, kinda added a cool effect.

Edit: Had the camera in "tungston" mode.