Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tojax Quote
The main reason seemed to be based on ease of use as opposed to results.
The Raynox universal adapter is easier and more flexible than anything. It can be attached to any lens with filter thread diameter from 52mm to 67mm. The "macro kit" adapters are like screw-on filters. You need step-up/step-down adapters to attach to lenses of different filter thread diameters.

In fact, last night I modified the Raynox universal adapter to use with my ringlight flash and placed an order for another adapter. Now I can attach/remove the ringlight to/from any lens (again, with filter thread diameter from 52mm to 67mm) instantly. I have 3 macro lenses of different focal length and filter thread diameters and it was a pain to prepare the ringlight flash. Pain no more

08-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #17

Since you like shooting in low light, you should check out the Pentax SMC FA 43 f1.9. I just got it and it is amazing, especially in low light. You can find one used for about $400 usd. Well worth it.
08-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'm getting pretty confused on all the diff between the Raynox and the Hoya Macro Filter kit.

Is the IQ really that big of a concern?
Yes. We're not talking subtle differences, like between, say, your M50 and the 50-200. We're talking huge differences, like say, the difference between your DSLR and a 1 megapixel cellphone cam.

There is no difference whatsoever in how easy they are use - just stick it on front of your lens, then you can focus close. I can only guess the salesman who steered you away from the Raynox had no idea what he was talking about - or perhaps makes a bigger profit on the Hoya. Or maybe he doesn't carry the Raynox (few stores do) and just wanted to make a sale, period?

Anyhow, that's one person telling you to avid the Raynox versus everyone on this forum - and any other place that shows up a Google search.

Here's a sample from the Raynox:

08-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I guess its the trying it instore vs taking a chance on online orders.

Thats actually pretty sharp. I think I'll save up a lil longer for that kit.

08-09-2009, 01:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I don't know how much you were thinking of spending on the Hoya's, but the Raynox is under $50. My shot above is using it with with DA70, which is a very sharp lens to start with, but as you can see, the Raynox is able to take full advantage of this. But it also partners very nicely with telephoto zooms like the DA50-200.
08-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #21
Forum Member

The store I was at did not stock the Raynox.
08-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I gotta see if my store carries that...

now that is probably $50 USD?

Cus the Hoya 49mm kit is $50 CAD

08-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #23
Forum Member

It is under $50 on Amazon.
08-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
But I have overspent a lil this month, so I'll probably just stick with the Macro kit for $45 CAD.
If they are (stackable) single element filters, it's a grand waste of money.

Believe me, I've got junk like that and its only use is for making psychedelic images (lots of blurr and PF).

I bought a Raynox afterwards and the difference is like between day and night.
08-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
GAS sounds to me like a combination of LBA and CBA rolled into one.