Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Noise vs resolution

I have heard a lot of discussion about noise at higher ISO settings with the Pentax K20D (and the K7). I understand that there is a trade-off between higher resolution and more noise at higher ISOs with most digital SLRs. Can noise be reduced at higher ISOs by reducing the resolution setting from 14.6 MP down to 10 MP on the K20D?

Thanks

Russ

08-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The effect of noise is usually diminished somewhat when downsizing -- you'll see lots of high-ISO web shots where the noise has been largely obliterated/processed out by the time the picture size was decreased to only 700 pixels wide. So it is possible that noise may be somewhat less apparent when the image is downsized to 10mp. With noise though generally comes a cost of reduced contrast and color accuracy. And having the camera output to 10mp doesn't do anything to eliminate the noise generated by the sensor which is still 14mp.

The camera shooting at 10mp isn't really any different than shooting at 14mp and then downsizing before storing on the card. I imagine the camera's downsizing logic works fine, but downsizing is somewhat destructive by nature. You're taking adjacent pixels and applying an algorithm to average them so an approximation of the original image will show in a smaller area. Then on your computer you would probalby do it again a second time for web posting or e-mail. You don't really want to downsize repeatedly, too much detail would be lost--I don't think I would use this as a noise reduction strategy--you're probably better off shooting full-res, then doing any noise-reduction post-processing, then resizing as desired--just once--as a last step.

But if you want to convince yourself, try it! I normally shoot RAW and wouldn't want to give up the advantages of RAW to shoot smaller sizes.
08-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeye Quote
I have heard a lot of discussion about noise at higher ISO settings with the Pentax K20D (and the K7). I understand that there is a trade-off between higher resolution and more noise at higher ISOs with most digital SLRs. Can noise be reduced at higher ISOs by reducing the resolution setting from 14.6 MP down to 10 MP on the K20D?

Thanks

Russ
noise a hardware/physics issue

when you are shooting at 10mp you are still utalizing the full sensor, the output is simply different, and most definetly not better than the original RAW.
08-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you AndrewS and Gooshin