Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #1

Workflow...

I've been thinking about moving to digital recently, and reading around I've seen the term "workflow" a lot. Is it a frightening thing? Can someone explain what it is!

08-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums, Prenderb!

"Workflow" just refers to what you do with your photos once you take them. For some people, it's as easy as taking out the SD card, putting it into the computer, and clicking "Copy to C:/My Pictures"

For others, they might import them into their favorite software, do some editing, and then save them as a different file name.

For others, they might import their RAW files into their RAW converter like ACR, make the adjustments to RAW, import them into more sophisticated software like Photoshop, add layers, masks, high-pass filters, vignettes, and textures, and then save them as a different file name in multiple external drives, burn them to discs to store off-location, and upload to a password-protected server so that there's always a hard copy.

So that's all it is: what you do with your photos after you take them.
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Prenderb.

When you make the move to digital, you'll find yourself with time needing to do some work on the photos you've taken with the camera - the 'digital darkroom'.

The process in which you do this from importing the images to end result ready for show is the workflow as Keitha has described.

You may find yourself naturally doing a lot of this without having to think about it, just to make the images look just that little bit better.

All the best when you get your K10D!
08-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I had been doing digital image processing since about 2000 for my website work and my own images from my old point and shoot FujiFilm camera since about 2003. Last year I started to hear the latest buzz word 'workflow' being used more and more. So someone (this will show my bias), most likely a mac user decided to call image processing - workflow. For now, the name has stuck.

As the other posters have pointed out it's basically going from the image in the camera to the processed image somewhere else. Basically all that magic done by the film processing labs now gets to be done by you. It requires learning a few more skills but it also IMHO is part of the really exciting side of digital...er...workflow.

Hope you make the leap.

08-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prenderb Quote
I've been thinking about moving to digital recently, and reading around I've seen the term "workflow" a lot. Is it a frightening thing? Can someone explain what it is!
Something to consider in your own workflow is to develop a file naming convention. Write our several ways to name your files. Decide which will work best to help you keep files organised should you need to just look at a list of the file names. You have a lot of options so if you need to learn about file sorting on whatever computer you use and work from there. Also learn to understand how directories work and how to use them to your advantage.

If that is somewhat or even very remedial detail for you, I apologize as we never know who knows what online. But I have been surprised at how many who claim to be advanced users have little concept of something as integral and intrinsic as file naming along with directory organisation. I have always used the library card catalog or even better file cabinet analogy in order to kick start a newer user.

But a solid understanding of naming files and organizing directories will help you greatly in using your computer to it's best.
08-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Workflow

you can see my workflow here:
jessezamora.blogspot.com
it's in the archive on the right side. Under 'July'
08-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Prenderb Quote
I've been thinking about moving to digital recently, and reading around I've seen the term "workflow" a lot. Is it a frightening thing?
No more so than film workflow: the whole process of taking the film out of the camera, developing it (perhaps doing some custom work in the process), identifying shots to make bigger prints of, figuring out how/where to store the negatives, perhaps jotting down notes on an index card to help you keep track of what is on which negatives, etc. Same basic idea with digital. On the other hand, if all you ever did with film was drop your roll of film off at Walmart then dump the resulting prints into a big cardboard box, you can do the equivalent of that just as easily with digital, too.
08-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

It's only a frightening thing if you don't do it right and something untoward happens and you aint backed up.