Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 07:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

PEF into RAW?

How can I change my PEF files into regular RAW's?
If there is some program I need can someone tell me whta it is?

08-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome to the forum Meelis.
PEF files are Pentax's native RAW file format.
They're just lossless compressed RAW files that can be interpreted by any image editing program that has the appropriately updated RAW software, like Camera RAW or iPhoto.
Unless you're now taling about Adobe's DNG RAW format, which all Pentax cams can also shoot in.
08-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Meelis Quote
How can I change my PEF files into regular RAW's?
If there is some program I need can someone tell me whta it is?
PEF files are RAW files

they are "pentax branded raw files"

much like a NEF is a nikon branded raw file.

there is also DNG, which is the adobe branded pseudo-raw file.

you do not need to convert your PEF's into anything.

Any post-processing software worth its name will accomdate any and all types of files, and allow you to export them into whatever you want.
08-07-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
PEF's are a form of raw file (Pentax's), by regular raw do you mean DNG's files (which are Adobe's version or raw).

Most Pentax DSLR can use either or, why do you need to change?

08-07-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Unless you're now taling about Adobe's DNG RAW format, which all Pentax cams can also shoot in.
All recent Pentax cameras... unless I'm missing something significant, my K100D does various levels of JPG and RAW, in the form of PEF, not Adobe DNG.

As for the OP's question, just about any raw processing software should be able to handle Pentax PEFs. You may need to download updates, depending on the relative ages of the software and camera.

Keep in mind that all information may not be translated perfectly - I convert my PEFs to DNG because the latter is much smaller, but Camera Raw doesn't know what to do with some of the exif data, for example, whether SR was on or off, and apparently ignores it. There may be updates that fix that, I don't know, because I don't really care as long as the important stuff (the image itself, basic settings, date, time...) comes through okay. But you may want to compare the exif data and make sure you're not losing something important to you.

Have fun with it!

Julie
08-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
All recent Pentax cameras... unless I'm missing something significant, my K100D does various levels of JPG and RAW, in the form of PEF, not Adobe DNG.
A lot of people here wouldn't consider the K100D recent anymore. The more recent cameras allow either DNG or PEF.

QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
Keep in mind that all information may not be translated perfectly - I convert my PEFs to DNG because the latter is much smaller
Using the RAW files produced in-camera (again, with the more recent models K10D, 20D, etc.), PEF is actually considerably smaller than in-camera DNG, as PEF are compressed, while in-camera DNG are not.

I don't have any problems with PEF. However, if you want to use DNG which may be slightly more future-resistant, I believe Adobe offers a free (?) converter program. There are also options in CS and LR to convert to DNG on import, I believe, and this probably allows for compression as Julie mentioned.

-Andrew
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thx for information ...but why my photoshop CS3 tells me 'Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document?It says it everytime and dosen't open my PEF files.
08-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thx for information ...but why my photoshop CS3 tells me 'Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document?It says it everytime and dosen't open my PEF files.
is your CS3 updated?

ps. why is there a picture of liu kang in your avatar?

Last edited by Gooshin; 08-07-2009 at 11:46 AM.
08-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
outstanding.
08-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
is your CS3 updated?

No it is not updated at all.

Better question is why not to have Liu Kang as avatar.
08-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

No it is not updated at all.

Better question is why not to have Liu Kang as avatar.
1. update your CS3, and you will see your pef files.

2. touche
08-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

You probably need to update ACR (from Adobe's website). Depending on which camera you have, it will have slightly different different PEF files that need an update from adobe to open. I think that should do it, although at a certain point Adobe stops supporting older software. As an example, I had Elements 5 and when I got the K20, I wasn't able to up date ACR to open them and had to update to Elements 7.
08-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

there is also a DNG converter supplied as a free dwonload by adobe at this link

Adobe - Digital Negative (DNG)

it can convert PEF to DNG so that you don't need to upgrade the program you are using,
08-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I think this version (4.6) of Adobe Camera RAW still works with CS3 and works with all the Pentax cameras except the K-7:

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Camera Raw 4.6 update

You can download this separately from other CS3 updates. It also comes with a DNG converter program that can convert your PEFs to DNG files. I use this to batch-convert all my images. I have a batch file that copies files from the card to the computer, runs the converter to create a compressed DNG version and moves the PEF version to a backup drive. The DNG version is my working copy. For my camera, the DNG is smaller, though later cameras compress the PEF.
08-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
A lot of people here wouldn't consider the K100D recent anymore. The more recent cameras allow either DNG or PEF.

Using the RAW files produced in-camera (again, with the more recent models K10D, 20D, etc.), PEF is actually considerably smaller than in-camera DNG, as PEF are compressed, while in-camera DNG are not.

I don't have any problems with PEF. However, if you want to use DNG which may be slightly more future-resistant, I believe Adobe offers a free (?) converter program. There are also options in CS and LR to convert to DNG on import, I believe, and this probably allows for compression as Julie mentioned.

-Andrew
Future resistance as you put it is probably the biggest dis-advantage against the PEF along with some earlier versions of software. However, the PEF takes up less card space and disk space. It possible the DNG could become obsolete at some point also. Of course the propietary versions are only as stable as the "holder" wants to keep it around or they are around.