Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

How important are SD card brands?

Are there any SD cards to avoid? What are the things to really consider when buying SD cards?

08-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Typically whenever I buy any kind of memory device, I like to get a good brand name. Truthfully I don't know of any technical advantages since it is fairly possible they both come from the same factory.

But I always buy Kingston, SanDisk, or PNY brand flash memory. When it comes to something as simple, yet something so essential as a SD card. I like to get the best I can.
08-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Write speed.....my Transcend class 6 cards are fine for photo but not video....
08-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_the_Artist Quote
Are there any SD cards to avoid? What are the things to really consider when buying SD cards?
I consider whether it is a real Sandisk card.
Other than that, I don't think much about it.

08-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm still going to buy a 3rd party card. but this time, I'm going to try it first before buying it. a C10 would be my video recording media card.
08-08-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Definitely making sure it is genuine is the primary concern these days so buying from a reputable dealer is a good idea.
08-08-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My Adata 16g. class 6 is no good for video on the k-7, but my Panasonic, Kingston and Sandisk are all right.
08-08-2009, 04:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I consider whether it is a real Sandisk card.
Other than that, I don't think much about it.

Me too. Sandisk Extreme III or Ultra II are the only cards I'll buy. They don't cost much more than the others and are solid, reliable cards. I'll only buy from a brick and mortar store to make sure I'm getting the real thing. No Ebay or online cards for my use.

Since we both shoot a lot of paid work, it only makes sense to have cards that will not fail.

Makes no sense to me to be shooting with a $1300 camera and $1000+ lens(plus $ thousands in related gear) and saving $4.00 on a cheap card I don't trust and possibly having to refund $$$$$ to a customer.

08-08-2009, 05:07 AM   #9

Lexar are an excellent make to consider.....
08-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Write speed is really the important thing. I have had a couple of generic brand cards that were very slow writing -- seemed like it took forever for the buffer of my K20 to empty if I shot a burst. The other thing is that one of them failed with minimal use. I guess to me, I am in the same boat with Peter -- I would rather spend twenty more dollars and get a card that is dependable then risk losing my vacation photos because the card suddenly gave up the ghost.
08-08-2009, 05:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

In addition, I just got 3 new Ultra II's for $19.99 through B&H and for American customers they come with a $5.00 prepaid Visa Card per card purchased (if that's still on). So for $15.00 a card (4Gb which is the biggest I'll use) I don't see anything else being much cheaper.

They have Extreme III's on for $34.99 with a $10.00 rebate.

I don't see much difference in write or download speeds between the 2 cards and both come with lifetime warranties. So you really can't loose.

I choose smaller cards only because if one did fail (It's not happened yet) I've only lost part for the work and not everything.
08-08-2009, 06:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Probably any of the brand name cards will do the job. Most of my cards are PNY Optima's because I get them at my local BJ's Wholesale Club store at a very good price. My most recent purchase was 2 of the 4GB SDHC cards for 19.99 and I also had a $10.00 off store coupon. Whenever I see them that cheap I just buy a few. I probably have more than I need but they are good Christmas presents for anyone with a camera. With prices as low as they are it also solves the backup problem for anybody without a second hard drive. Just save the cards.
08-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Cards are so cheap nowadays, it's seems to be a little foolish to take a chance with a no-name card just to save a couple of bucks, IMO.
I'm sure one top brand is as good as another, but I usually buy 2 GB Sandisk Ultra ll SD & CF cards at my local Adorama for about $7 - $8 apiece.
08-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #14

Card size

I notice some people say they will not use cards bigger than 4 GB.

Why?

Cheers
Numb Thumbs
08-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

For me SanDsk Extreme III's work fine, but remember "all your eggs in one basket", should one card fail all will be lost.

Thats why I choose to continue with multiple 4 gb cards and time the change over to suit.