Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HDR and you... help?

While browsing the net bored outa my mind at work today... I came across something called HDR or High Dynamic Range....

I'm gonna post my understanding so that you guys can help me best...

HDR is where I set my K20D up to take x photos in a row (x can = 3 or 5?) of varying exposures. Then somewhere else in the camera it takes those 3 photos and combines them into one really awesome photo....

IS that the general idea of it?

Now how do I do it?

I finally figured out after digging through boxes trying to find my manual that my wife hid on me when she cleaned out the coffee table... that the bracketing button on the top left by the viewfinder is to be held down and I can select how many shots using the front dial... so what do I do after this?

P.S. I've ran a search for HDR in the search field and didn't find squat... I also tried High Dynamic Range but didn't find anything helpful....

08-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
While browsing the net bored outa my mind at work today... I came across something called HDR or High Dynamic Range....

HDR is where I set my K20D up to take x photos in a row (x can = 3 or 5?) of varying exposures. Then somewhere else in the camera it takes those 3 photos and combines them into one really awesome photo....
The K20D doesn't combine them for you if you use the AEB function. You get three images to combine with 3rd-party software like Photoshop or Photomatix.

You can read more about the process (outside of the specifics of your Pentax camera) here and here.

P.S. I've ran a search for HDR in the search field and didn't find squat... I also tried High Dynamic Range but didn't find anything helpful....
That's because the search function on this forum blows monkey-chunks.
08-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
yea, considering I found the topic discussed in great lengths here on the forum using google

thanks for the assist!
08-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...or it's simply operator error.

Last edited by wasser; 08-09-2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: fixed url
08-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a lot out there on high dynamic range photography.

This is a very very basic sketch of HDR.

Basically you set your k20 up for auto bracketing. I'd recommend you start at 3 exposures (1-normal metering, 1-under exposed, 1-over exposed), start with about 1 stop over and under. You can shoot in raw or jpeg format but raw is better for a bunch of reasons. However, keeping it simple start with jpegs and work to raw format. It's better if you use a tripod but you don't have to if the light's strong.

Port your three photos to your computer. You will then need some kind of HDR software, there are a number out there for pc and mac. I've used ArtizenHDR (PC only) for the past year quite effectively. However Photomatrix Pro from HDR soft seems to be the current standard for HDR software and integrates with Lightroom or works in stand alone just fine.

What the HDR software does is combine the multipile exposures into one image which then you 'tone map' the colors to what you want and then export to a new jpeg image that will have a greatly expanded range of the image. PhotoShop CS has an HDR function in it but it sucks IMHO.

That's a very short of epxlaination of HDR.
link to hdr soft:

HDR photo software & plugin - Tone Mapping, Exposure Fusion & HDR Imaging for photography
08-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Damn Brit

yea, considering I found the topic discussed in great lengths here on the forum using google

thanks for the assist!
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote

That's why google search is available in the advanced search option.
08-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thanks for the tips.

yea I guess newbie forum mistake. :P
08-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you do a search with asterisks on either side of HDR you'll get returns through the board's search.

Searching for *HDR* gives these results.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
That's why google search is available in the advanced search option.
I never new Google search was at the below the regular search.

08-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote

Last edited by wasser; Today at 04:08 AM.. Reason: fixed url
Had to add those *'s yourself I see... perfect search results without them!
08-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Had to add those *'s yourself I see... perfect search results without them!
Umm yeah...that's why I posted it.
08-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

HDR is a way of increasing your cameras dynamic range. For most photos, your camera has plenty of DR to capture the image, but for those where part of the photo is quite dark and part is quite light, it can be helpful. There is a real art to it, because most of the time it ends up looking quite artificial (at least when I've tried it). I guess the last thing is that it (obviously) requires a static image, since you will be coming multiple images of it.
08-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Actually, it's possible to do something similar from a single image. There is this technique here, or you could also extract 3 exposures from a single RAW (-1,0,+1) for the images.
08-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you google HDR on the web you will see awesome examples as to what this thing is and what you can do.
You would need software to squeeze the most out of it.
It also depends on what software you will use to give out the result you want.
i love HDr although I haven't had much opportunity to have a go at it.
I had tried it for 3 times and the result have been good.
Heck, I even just used my P&S (point and shoot) camera using bracketing and on a tripod and the results turned out good.
08-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

IS that the general idea of it?

Now how do I do it?

I finally figured out after digging through boxes trying to find my manual that my wife hid on me when she cleaned out the coffee table... that the bracketing button on the top left by the viewfinder is to be held down and I can select how many shots using the front dial... so what do I do after this?

More or less right.

HDR is a technique used to mimic the ability of your eye to see details in shadow and high light in 1 view (at the same time), with your camera.
Your eyes have a much better dynamic range (ability to see in shadow and high light) than your camera. It is often measured in stops.
Your eye should be able to do 17-20 stops, a DSLR does between 10-13 stops. Cheap cameras do considerably less.
What is often forgotten is that HDR also is a file format to store HDR pictures. Since normal photo file formats have limited dynamic resolution as well.

The technique is based on taking the same picture with multiple exposures.
The under exposed picture will "see" the high light areas better, while the over exposed picture can "see" the shadow details.
Proper HDR software will be able to combine the 3 (or 4, 5, 6, 7) pictures into 1 HDR formatted picture.

The BIG issue with HDR is to print / output / see the result.
You will then need to have a device that is capable of handling such a dynamic range.
A thing like that does not exist to my knowledge.

What we do instead is we "translate" the HDR picture into a normal JPG or TIFF picture. Alas you then will loose your dynamic range again!!

A technique called tone mapping is used to selectively remove dynamic range where we need it the least, and/or to halo darker areas to still see to shadow details.
Tone mapping is an art that can also be applied to normal photos, it results in this special look of a HDR picture.

How a K7 handles / implements HDR I don't know (yet). I don't have one.

I hope this explains the matter somewhat.

- Bert
08-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

I've never heard the phrase "monkey- chunks" before.

But I can guess the sentiment though.