Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 04:47 AM   #1

Recommended Accessories

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey everyone I finally took the plunge for the k200d after seeing them in person at the B&H store in NY.

The k200D fit the best in my hands compared to the other models and I purchased one from best buy for the refurbished version since it was only $379 and I am looking into some lenses although I can find those on my own. I was wondering what accessories you think would be good for a beginner?

I have thought about the battery grip since I think it would provide better holding of the camera although I could be wrong there. A screen protector and an eyepiece although B&H are out of them right now.

Let me know what you think so far and any other suggestions if you can take the time, thanks.

08-10-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had my DS since 2005 and have never put a screen protector on the LCD. I really don't think you will need one.

As for accessories you will need, a dust blower of some kind and a method for cleaning the sensor.

Tim
08-10-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Other than a bag that you find comfortable (go to a store and try the various types out), I wouldn't buy anything until you have used the camera for a while. I know that it's frustrating because there are so many things out there that are appealing (and necessary, of course) and cry out to be bought. Get used to using the camera and see what you are interested in shooting, before buying more lenses, etc. Besides the learning curve with the camera, there are also post processing skills to get up to speed on (read: computer equipment and software). When you have a feel for what type of shooting you are gravitating towards (landscape, street, sports, etc.), then you can make more informed choices regarding lenses, tripods, etc. Once you get hooked, it never ends, so move forward slowly and wisely..
08-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of your accessory purchases will be better when you have more information. I was going to suggest a tripod, because a solid fixed shooting platform is important for everything from focus testing to macro. But when you shoot for a while, you'll know if you need a tripod to support a ten pound telephoto or to hold a macro rig six inches off the ground. Buying the best for both purposes right now will cost way more than the camera did. Still, you might consider a very basic tripod, considering how useful it will be.

08-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks I already have a basic tripod, forgot to mention that. I think I will use the advice and wait to get anything other than a cleaning kit for the sensor.
08-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I personally wouldn't be spending money on an LCD "protector". There have been as many stores of LCD's being *destroyed* by them as being *protected* by them (which is to say, one or two such stories each - 99.99% of people have no problems with or without it). As for 'eyepiece", not sure you mean by this specifically, but the O-ME53 magnifiying is indeed a somewhat helpful aid for manual focus if you do that a lot. But yeah, assuming you've got a bag to carry what you've got in, I'd be mostly saving my money for lenses - there really aren't any other "accesories" that make a whit of difference in comparison.
08-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are some obvious things which you probably have covered such as a tripod and a camera bag. There are tons of camera stuff out there. I would suggest just getting out there and start shooting pictures and soon enough you will find out what you need.

08-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mercyreaper Quote
I have thought about the battery grip since I think it would provide better holding of the camera although I could be wrong there. A screen protector and an eyepiece although B&H are out of them right now.
I would highly recommend the battery grip. Especially for the price - $40 through Amazon (Beach Camera). I was skeptical at first, but it greatly increases the feel and handling of the camera. Unfortunately it doesn't give you much of anything functionally ( unlike the BG2), but the extra room for your pinky is worth it. When I take it off now, the camera just feels wierd!

I also recomend the eyepiece. The extra magnification is barely noticable, but the fact that you don't have to mash the camera against your nose and cheek are what makes this accessory worth it.

Last edited by Gr8erimage; 08-10-2009 at 12:17 PM.
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Even though others don't recommend it, I would as I have one on my K100D super.
Get an LCD protector, but get the one that comes in a set for the top LCD and the main back LCD.
It not only protects it from scratches but more so from smudges from fingerprints and your nose.
Before I had the protector, the screen was always blurry from the smudges and I was always constantly wiping it to get a good enough view of the shots I took.
After I placed the LCD protector, I seldom get it smudged anymore plus I no longer have the fear of it being scratched from over wiping!
My primary use of the screen protector is not to protect it from breakage but more from scratches.
It is also useful when you do intend to re-sell your camera for an upgrade as it would have more value than an abused or ones having a scratched LCD screen.
People here pay top dollar if the equipment, whether it be a lens or any accessories when it is listed as "like new".
It also shows what great care you give to your equipment.
Heck, I wouldn't want to trash my camera just because others don't take good care of theirs.
I have a 3 year old Canon S3 IS and it still looks like new or mint!
The LCD protector won't even cost you a lot for you to ignore it.
08-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gr8erimage Quote
I also recomend the eyepiece. The extra magnification is barely noticable, but the fact that you don't have to mash the camera against your nose and cheek are what makes this accessory worth it.
Do you recommend any place to get the eyepiece. I've not found any except on ebay at this time and they don't seem be priced like what I was expecting.
08-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tojax Quote
Do you recommend any place to get the eyepiece. I've not found any except on ebay at this time and they don't seem be priced like what I was expecting.
Adorama has it and they are priced only at $35 with free shipping once you add it to the cart: 30150 Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eye Piece for all Pentax DSLR Bodies

These go for ridiculous prices if you don't know where to look.
People even buy this off ebay for $45..or even here at the marketplace if you don't google and only see the high priced sites.
08-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I also want one of these magnifying eyepiece that is why I already googled and knew where the cheapest prices were.
I plant o buy this in the future but not of the moment as I can still deal with the original viewfinder.
08-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Adorama has it and they are priced only at $35 with free shipping once you add it to the cart: 30150 Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying Eye Piece for all Pentax DSLR Bodies
Yes, but it's also out of stock. Ditto with B&H, which is usually the other reliable source for stuff like this. I was thinking of picking one up this week for my wife.

I do see some available for $35 here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OFFICIAL-Pentax-O-ME53-enlargement-eyecup-K10D-K100D_W0Q...3286.m20.l1116

But shipping is $15 and it comes from Japan, so might not be the best option for me (I want it before next weekend).

And I also see that "jinfinance" on Ebay is offering a good deal on his split prism focus screens with an O-ME53 included.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 08-11-2009 at 12:57 PM.
08-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #14

Thanks for the heads up guys. I just ordered one after trying to find one for less than $50 shipped for the last 2 months.
08-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Grips as good news for big hands and vertical shooting.