Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #1

panagor macro converter with pentax prime

Hi,

I hope that someone can help me.
I was searching on this forum for more details, but it's still not clear.

I would like to order on ebay a " panagor auto macro converter " for pentax.
= First steps in macro photography !!
And using this panagor "tube" with my pentax F 1.7 50mm prim and k200d camera.
Autofocus will probably not work, but who has experience with this combination and automatic shutter speed settings, or can I using it only with manual settings ?

Who can advice me, ( sorry for my poor english )
thanks

08-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #2

Looks like P/K mount - no information about aperture - so you will have to set the F-stop on the lens and then use stop-down metering/use manual exposure.

I highly recommend if you can get Vivitar Macro Focusing Teleconvertor 2x for PK-A mount. Adds a lot of convenience (as well as P-TTL flash exposure).

Autofocus won't work with either.
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Jean as I see it's your first post!
I have no experience with this equipment but it looks like a TC (teleconverter) which has a magnification lens and extension tube in one.
The lens element provides the necessary magnification and the extended tube gives it the further magnification necessary without sacrificing more light transmission.
This may work only for some lenses particularly the 50mm with an optimal desired aperture opening...say 1.2 or 1.4 and maybe even up to f2.
It probably would be something like this, but this is for canon: EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - Macro - Lens Converter - Life-Size Converter EF - Canon USA Consumer Products
08-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #4

I'm not selling it, but here is the thing u're looking for:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/69553-sale-dfa-...converter.html

08-11-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jean Quote
Hi,

I hope that someone can help me.
I was searching on this forum for more details, but it's still not clear.

I would like to order on ebay a " panagor auto macro converter " for pentax.
= First steps in macro photography !!
And using this panagor "tube" with my pentax F 1.7 50mm prim and k200d camera.
Autofocus will probably not work, but who has experience with this combination and automatic shutter speed settings, or can I using it only with manual settings ?

Who can advice me, ( sorry for my poor english )
thanks
There have been severall such converters on the market. The best known is probably the Vivitar macro 2x converter. This was actually made by Kenko. Later on Kenko sold it under their own name. At least the Kenko version exist both as K and KA mount. In the later case you have the A contacts and you get program functionality. I have one of these. They give surprisingly good results on any good prime. The faster prime, the better, your 50/1.7 will become a good 100/3.4 macro 1:1. My A*135/1.8 becomes a killer 270mm/3.6 1:2.7 etc. It does not beet a good dedicated macro lens, but it comes close for little money. Expect to pay a bit more for the KA version, but if you shoot flowers you can just as well work manually with a K version. No AF with any of these, but you have limited use for AF when you do macro.

I would not be surprised if the panagor macro converter was actually also made by Kenko, but there may have been severall versions and some may not be the same as the Vivitar/Kenko. I have seen a 3x panagor macro converter...and I would not buy that since I think you would lose too much light and contrast in a 3x converter.

What I don't understand why no one build these macro converters any longer...or actually I do...it is because of that annoying autofocus mania...no easy way to make the AF transfer work when the tube is changing length.
08-11-2009, 04:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These were shot with the Kenko 2x macro converter KA

Together with A*135/1.8:

cropped:

cropped:

Here with the A50/1.7:

cropped:

Posted before in 2008.
08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't have any (rear) macro converter, but I know this much:

- The Panagor is a macro converter, it it not a tele converter. When attached to a 50mm lens, the combination acts as a 50mm macro lens that can focus only from 1:10 (about 50cm) to 1:1 magnification ratio.

- The Kenko/Vivitar 2x macro converter is a macro and tele converter. When attached to a 50mm lens, the combination acts as a 100mm macro lens that can focus from infinity to 1:1 magnification ratio.

In terms of market (used) price, the Panagor is about $40, the Kenko/Vivitar is about $100.

Last edited by SOldBear; 08-11-2009 at 12:30 PM.